DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Help finding an audio cable... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/465995-help-finding-audio-cable.html)

Chris Medico October 18th, 2009 06:22 PM

Help finding an audio cable...

I'm looking to use the lav mics I bought for the AT-1800 wireless setup with a digital recorder. I've been looking around for Hirose to XLR adapter cables. So far no success.

I'm looking for the exact opposite of this:
Audio-Technica | XLRW Input Cable | XLRW | B&H Photo Video

I need a male Hirose 4 to male 3 conductor XLR.

Anyone know of a source?

Don Bloom October 18th, 2009 08:00 PM

2 thoughts.
1) Call B&H to see if they have it and it's just not listed

2) try fullcompass.com-they are more of an audio house and have or can make pretty much any cable you need. Actually call them and talk to one of their repsas not everything is listed.

Steve House October 19th, 2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1434308)
I'm looking to use the lav mics I bought for the AT-1800 wireless setup with a digital recorder. I've been looking around for Hirose to XLR adapter cables. So far no success.

I'm looking for the exact opposite of this:
Audio-Technica | XLRW Input Cable | XLRW | B&H Photo Video

I need a male Hirose 4 to male 3 conductor XLR.

Anyone know of a source?

The lavs are going to need 3 to 5 volt mic power to operate if you feed them directly into a recorder. The is NOT the same voltage as 48v phantom! A Hirose to XLR cable will put full phantom power on the lavs with the risk of frying them internally. You need an XLR adapter and power supply unit that you plug the mic into and handles the voltage conversions, etc. Instead of a cable, you should get a couple of the Ambient Eumels or equivalent ... Ambient Products Microphone Power Supplies EMP Electret Microphone Power

---------------
Addendum

hmmm - don't see one listed for mic's wired for the AT transmitters. What you'll need to do is figure out a little adapter pigtail. But my original comment still holds, you can't just use a physical adapter cable and have the mic work and there is a real risk of physical damage to the mic capsule itself if you try. You need the power supply. Perhaps if you contact the lav manufacturer they can assist you. I know shops like Trew Audio make-up XLR phantom supplies with breakway cables to do exactly what you want to do all the time.

Chris Medico October 19th, 2009 06:50 AM

Yes, that would work perfectly.

They don't seem to have one with the correct connector for the mic though.

Jay Massengill October 19th, 2009 07:18 AM

Audio Technica makes a power module for this use, the AT8539 Power Module:
Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8539 : Power Module
It isn't cheap of course since it is an actual power module and not just an adapter cable.
It comes as part of the standard AT892 mic, perhaps it would be a better value to buy an AT892 mic complete and have your choice of using either mic element with either the power module or your wireless pack.

Steve House October 19th, 2009 07:19 AM

What mics do you have? Perhaps the manufacturer has a matching power supply. There are a number of phantom power supplies that could be adapted by adding a little pigtail.

Steve Oakley October 20th, 2009 08:39 PM

well no matter what, you're gonna spend around $100 or so per unit. I've got a ambient I picked up from trew audio and it works fine when I decide to go hardwire. converts 48V phantom to the 3ish volts lavs want

Marco Leavitt October 21st, 2009 10:25 AM

Can't find any details on that AT8539. Is there a battery in there, or does it adjust phantom power? Also, is it compatible with the AT899 mics? I've been looking for something like this.

Steve House October 21st, 2009 12:18 PM

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8537 : Power Module

Marco Leavitt October 21st, 2009 01:56 PM

Saw that Steve, but aside from the picture, there doesn't seem to be any information there.

Steve House October 21st, 2009 02:33 PM

Yep, doesn't say much except that it's specific to the AT898 and AT899 lavs only.

Jay Massengill October 21st, 2009 03:15 PM

The AT8539 Power Module that I referrenced above does say it works with the 4-pin connector for lavs that normally hook to their wireless packs. It specifically says its for turning wireless mic elements into wired mics.