Stationary mic boom. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Stationary mic boom.

Hi all, there are times when our boom is stationary, the mics in a fixed position over the set.
Looking at this, to rig with a solid light stand, a std mic stand won't handle the weight. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

BoomMate | BPH Microphone Boom Pole Holder | | B&H Photo Video

Cheers.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Thats the rig I use. Make sure that your stand is very sturdy. When you raise it and extend the boom pole leverage really start working against you.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi again Allan! I have a Boom Buddy which is a similar idea that I've occasionally used with a Rode boom pole (the 3 Meter, 5 section one) on a solid light stand. You have to at least "mostly balance" the weight (as you've already twigged I'm sure) and this is pretty tricky at times. More often than not, this means the boom pole is somewhere like 1/2 to 2/3 extended in the direction needed and about 1/2 to 1/3 behind with it's heavier rear sections - to balance. Sure, you can hang something off the back end and allow a better reach forward but as you've already no doubt imagined from this brief description it all starts to get a bit "iffy"/risky. Net result is I don't do I very often so the Boom Buddy tends to stay in my kit bag.

9 times out of 10, I use a much smaller mini boom mic stand that are common everywhere, especially for seated interviewees (typical in my mostly corporate stuff type environment). Boom Buddy comes out now only if they really want to deliver their lines standing.

I don't know the item linked specifically - maybe it's better - but those are my comments from using something similar - hope this helps.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Major Player

A sand bag on the stand also works wonders for the balance
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

That's a good idea - something else for my non-existent assistant to lug onto/off site with all my other gear then! ;-)
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Boompole holder and grip head

I've been using something similar for the past few years:
General Brand | Boompole Holder and Grip Head Kit | | B&H Photo

It attaches to my old 3/8" lightstands, as well as 5/8" lightstands.
Just be sure to put some weight on the back of the boom, or a sandbag on the back foot of the stand.
Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Trustee

We used the same gadget that Ken mentions, on a heavy Matthews c-stand with a sandbag, in the Miami Herald studio before I retired...worked fine...highly recommend the c-stands, B&H has by a variety of manufacturers...usually thought of as movie making gear, I think, but great kit. /Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
Thats the rig I use. Make sure that your stand is very sturdy. When you raise it and extend the boom pole leverage really start working against you.
deleted reply, redundent
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Trustee

I have a convenient 2-pound shot bag that hangs securely on the short end of the boompole. It really makes the rig stable even when full-length. I have a boom-buddy type rod holder, but usually just carry a Bogen superclamp instead. The superclamp holds the boom horizontally at its balance point with minimal clamping force. Using a tall light-stand, I find the horizontal boom is better placed than using an upward angle like most regular height mic-stands or boom-buddy type holders are set at. The small counterweight bag is much lighter than a big enough sandbag to hold the base of the stand without using a counterweight.
The superclamp shouldn't be used without the counterweight though, I think you'd crush a lightweight boompole if you tightened the clamp enough to use it without the counterweight. The superclamp also has many other uses on-set.
Since I usually travel and set up by myself, I haven't invested in C-stands due to their weight, size and cost. I'd like to get a couple for the studio though, they will last a lifetime.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks guys many things to consider. Hi Andy, hadn't seen the Boom-Buddy before. Somewhere I saw a fishing rod holder but support would be the problem.

And with an expensive mic on the boom, don't want to chance anything. Bad news if it drops on the talent too.

I thought of making one but might go with the first selection cause it has widely spaced holders, anyone think that's a plus?

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio