Beyer Dynamic MCE 58 mic, good for documentary use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Tourist

Beyer Dynamic MCE 58 mic, good for documentary use?

I am picking up equipment for a documentary I plan to be shooting with a small crew and Im looking to buy a used mic. I have some basic training from school about audio and microphones but I want some opinions from people who know what they're talking about before buying the wrong mic. I was looking for some sort of shotgun mic since that is what I have used in the past but I came across a Beyer Dynamic MCE 58 Beyerdynamic MCE 58 Condenser Omnidirectional Microphone for $100 and supposedly in great condition.

I just want to know anyone's thoughts on whether or not this would be good for a documentary that will consist of sit down interviews, but then also would need to be used to cover any other audio in B-Roll shots or interviews shot outdoors. It sounds like a great interview mic but I really need to make sure I get the best all around mic as we are super low budget and this needs to be able to get my audio in all situations. I will be running this into a Zoom H4 field recorder.
Matthew Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Like the ambiguous omni-directional EV RE-50, which gets more airtime than Seinfeld reruns, the Beyer is a good mic for on/off-camera journalistic news reporter type work.
It is NOT a substitute for a boom mounted shotgun or hyper-card... and certainly would not be a good choice for sit-down interviews.
Sounds like a decent price though.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Tourist

Ok, that's what I was thinking it just seemed like a great price and I had to figure out if it was worth dropping the money or not. I will keep looking for that shotgun. Thanks for the advice.
Matthew Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Just so you know, shotguns are not the best choice for sit-down interviews either. I would expect most of those interviews to be shot indoors where shotgun performance is degraded from being in a reflective environment. A hypercardioid boomed just out of frame about 20 inches from the subject is usually the mic of choice for that scenario.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio