DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   wireless on-person mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/46678-wireless-person-mics.html)

Chris Jonesy June 23rd, 2005 12:32 PM

wireless on-person mics

can anyone tell me where i can get cheap
on-person small wireless mics (to be used for hidden camera project)
and if theyre avail for a low end dv cam
in other words, i do not have a mic jack on this camera
...do they have to be hjooked up in this manner?
thank you

Stephanie Wilson June 23rd, 2005 05:23 PM

wireless mic

Chris,

I purchased my Sennheiser wireless mic from Northern Sound & Light (www.northernsound.net). I did a ton of research for the best price and theirs was the cheapest I found for new audio equipment. You can also try EBAY and Craigslist.org, as well.

I have no idea what your project is about but I am concerned that you first fully understand the laws of your state before you distribute any hidden camera video and/or audio recordings.

Take care,
Stephanie

Ben Lynn June 23rd, 2005 09:50 PM

If your camera doesn't have a mic input then a wireless mic system won't work with it.

Ben Lynn

Steve House June 24th, 2005 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jonesy
can anyone tell me where i can get cheap
on-person small wireless mics (to be used for hidden camera project)
and if theyre avail for a low end dv cam
in other words, i do not have a mic jack on this camera
...do they have to be hjooked up in this manner?
thank you

Does your camera have any sort of audio input? If not, you're out of luck, there's no way to get a signal into it. "Wireless" merely means it uses radio instead of a cable to get the signal from the mike to the recording device. But the wireless receiver still has to plug into something on the camera or other recorder and without a mike jack or other audio input on your camera there's no place for it to go. If the camera is a DV camera, you could try using a minidisc recorder to record the sound separately and sync the sound to picture when you edit. The wireless lav would have a small body-pack transmitter and a minidisc recorder is about the same size as the body pack...a conventional lav plugged into a mindisc in the talent's pocket would be just as concealable.

Nate Ford June 24th, 2005 09:14 AM

no offence, but there's something a little scary about the thought of secret footage being shot by someone who doesn's understand that recording devices require mic inputs in order to record from mics. let's hope your ethics are stronger than your tech skills.

Stephanie Wilson June 26th, 2005 04:12 AM

I am quessing that your question was regarding an XLR mic input.

Most lower end "pro-consumer" wireless mic systems have a mini plug which should work with your cam.

As some previous posts have suggested, (including my own) you might want to further educate yourself on the legalities and/or moralities of shooting "hidden cam" video.

Take care,

Stephanie