Rode ntg2 for Interviews with Canon 5d mkii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Rode ntg2 for Interviews with Canon 5d mkii

I've got to shoot some interviews on my 5D mkii and am looking for a mic for the job. The job will need to go to DVD so i'll have to change the framerate to 25 fps in FCP's cinematools. I already own a rode ntg2 mic and since this is a cheap job i'd rather not buy anything new. Would this be suitable for the job or do i need to buy a zoom, Edirol, olympus LS10 or some other external recording device?

Alternatively, does anyone know where i could rent one of these things for 2 days in London next week?

Cheers

D
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

To use the NTG-2 into the 5D2, you'd at least need an XLR to 1/8" adapter (hopefully with a transformer), and you'd need to run Magic Lantern to set a fixed gain. The levels will be low, and the result will be a bit noisy, unless you can get your hands on a powered preamp or mixer, like a juicedLink.

If you can't get a preamp or mixer with gain, or can't/won't run Magic Lantern, go for an external recorder.

Part 2: Camera Mounted Mic - vimeo.com/5388476
Part 3: Wireless Lavalier - vimeo.com/5443143
Part 4: Foley - vimeo.com/5453690
Part 5: Noise - vimeo.com/5474562
Part 6: Conclusions - vimeo.com/5903379
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks Jon. That's a great video. I think i'm going to go with a zoom type recorder for the time being, since i play guitar and would like to have one for that also. I notice there are some cheap nearly new Zoom H2 recorders around.
Is there much difference between these and the more expensive H4?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The H4n is supposed to have better preamps than the H4 and H2. It also has a better clock, so it doesn't drift much when sync'ing with video.

I haven't used the H2 or H4, so I don't know how big a difference there is.

One thing I know: the Microtrack II is noisy. We use it successfully with a juicedLink as a front end, but naked, it's weak.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio