DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Using a rode ntg1 mounted on the cam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/467227-using-rode-ntg1-mounted-cam.html)

Marcus Martell November 6th, 2009 12:09 PM

Using a rode ntg1 mounted on the cam

Hola guys,has been a while i weren't asking stuff on this audio 3ds...
I wanted to know if u suggest me to use my rode ntg1 on the z1 when i don't have an audio guy with pole with me.I have to shoot interviews for my docs at the distance between 150 cm and 200.What do you think'?When i'm alone i bring with me a stand for the lights so i can avoid the help of somebody to hold the mic.I use the Rode when it's too windy and the sennheiser lavaliers cop too wind

Let me know if i'm wrong

thx

MM

Shaun Roemich November 6th, 2009 12:19 PM

I don't think an NTG-1 at 150-200 cms is going to give good quality PRIMARY audio, especially for interviews. I'm looking at mounting one on my cameras for "wild sound" when I need SOME sound to accompany my images but nothing that will be forward in the mix.

Anyone who says on-camera mics have no purpose doesn't do the work I do and anyone who thinks you can place a mic 7 feet (200cms) away from your subject doesn't care enough about audio fidelity.

Marcus Martell November 6th, 2009 01:52 PM

Do u use any blimp or deadcat?

Steve House November 6th, 2009 01:53 PM

I'll second Shaun. Shotgun mics like the NTG-1 need to be no more than about 75 cm from the subject's mouth for best results.

Stewart Menelaws November 6th, 2009 02:10 PM

Marcus – I have a Rode NTG-2 with fluffy fitted to my Sony PDW-700. On a camera, it’s great for picking up ambient sound, and does not appear to pick up the 700s optical drive mechanism on the standard rubber mounted mic holder. However, while the NTG1/2 is a great little mic for the money, I personally would not use it or any other mic for primary audio in that configuration for an interview. If you are working alone and needing to work quickly I would stick with your lav mic – either hard wired or on a radio.

Clearly, all of this is can be subjective and it depends on what you think is acceptable.

I was in a situation recently in the Middle East where my audio man went missing for an hour and we had an exclusive interview suddenly drop into our laps, I grabbed one of the MKE2 lav mics and hard wired it (via adapter) to the camera keeping an eye on the levels. Interview went very well, audio man escaped with his life… ;-)

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Shaun Roemich November 6th, 2009 02:34 PM

Marcus: to answer your question, my current on-camera mic is a Sennheiser ME66 (similar to the RODE NTG-1 in a lot of respects) and I NORMALLY keep a velour foam cover on it and keep a low pile fur cover in my camera bag if I need it. I will be buying a RODE NTG-3 and blimp soon for boom work.

Marcus Martell November 6th, 2009 02:41 PM

I have a lavallier mic but when it's windy ..what could you do when u r alone?

thx for the quick help

Stewart Menelaws November 6th, 2009 03:05 PM

RE: Wind…

What type of Senn Lav do you have?

What have you got fitted to it – cap type / pop shield / fluffy?

Are you placing the mic on the body correctly?

Do you have control over the way you position the person being interviewed – with their back to the wind?

Do you hardwire or use a radio?

Best: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Marcus Martell November 6th, 2009 03:37 PM

RE-Wind....

I use the eng-g2 lav, often when the wind is strong and you have to shoot outsid i can put the guy in a positin that cthe wind could crash on his back but.....The wind is everywhere. I use the lil spounge that you have in the box!Which other items do u suggets me to buy?I heard about small deadcat for those kind mic....
Every your single suggestions are very appreciated!

2nd point: if i have with me a friend that is not a sound guy, but i decide to buy a pole where i'd mount on the top the ntg1, and i connect the xlr cable 2 my z1...Do u think that (if my friend is able to keep a steady hand) i could achieve good audio results?
Which accessories should i buy for the Rode on that position?
thx

Stewart Menelaws November 6th, 2009 04:08 PM

RE: Wind…

1: Do you mean the ME2 or ME4 Lav mic? – These are low budget mics, and while they are not bad for the money, they will not help you in those types of conditions. The MKE2 is a superior mic but costs a good bit more.

Is it really necessary to record your interview in a windy environment? Is it not possible to use something as a wind break, just out of shot… like a wall, a building, anything?

You can get a little “dead cat” to cover the lav mic but it will be very noticeable in your shot and you will also reduce the quality of the audio on a cheap mic.

2: Holding a boom steady and correct placement of a mic requires skill, doing that in windy conditions even more so. Can your friend or the person you are interviewing hold the Rode microphone in their hand like an interviewer’s mic. If it is that windy you won’t hear handling noise, but a gloved hand would help.

3: Marcus – Can you give a description of what you are actually trying to achieve, what is your project/job all about? Who is it for? It will be easier for folks to give you advice that will suit your needs once we have a better picture of what you are up to.

Best: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Steve House November 6th, 2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1443689)
RE-Wind....

I use the eng-g2 lav, often when the wind is strong and you have to shoot outsid i can put the guy in a positin that cthe wind could crash on his back but.....The wind is everywhere. I use the lil spounge that you have in the box!Which other items do u suggets me to buy?I heard about small deadcat for those kind mic....
Every your single suggestions are very appreciated!

2nd point: if i have with me a friend that is not a sound guy, but i decide to buy a pole where i'd mount on the top the ntg1, and i connect the xlr cable 2 my z1...Do u think that (if my friend is able to keep a steady hand) i could achieve good audio results?
Which accessories should i buy for the Rode on that position?
thx

Poles are sometimes difficult to hold steady and accurately for a long period of time unless the boom operator is experienced and practiced - those guy are much more than just a human mic stand and it requires a lot more knowledge of sound and a lot more stamina than it looks. Since your friend is not a trained boom operator, your results may be problematic. Why not consider a blimp with pistol grip so your friend could hold and aim it more comfortably? It would be a lot easier for him to keep it pointed accurately.

Marcus Martell November 7th, 2009 03:57 AM

Steve could you link me please a model that would fit the ntg1?

thx

Steve House November 7th, 2009 07:45 AM

The Rode blimp has such a handgrip for use off the pole as does the Rycote system.

Mike Beckett November 8th, 2009 10:47 AM

Marcus,

I got Rode's own pistol grip for my similar NTG-2:

RØDE Microphones - PG2 Pistol Grip Shock Mount

I'm not sure that the blimp pistol grip can be used on its own without the blimp mount. Mine didn't come with the rubber "o" mount that you stick the mic through. You may want to confirm this.

You can certainly take the blimp basket off and use the mount without it, but it is bulkier than the standalone pistol grip.

Marcus Martell December 2nd, 2009 03:26 AM

Hi, how is it to keep on hand?I guess is very useful if u don t have time to set a boom right?

thx