DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Apple commercial question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/467625-apple-commercial-question.html)

Michael LaHatte November 12th, 2009 01:18 PM

Apple commercial question

What are these black curtains in this apple behind the scenes video: Apple - Pro - Profiles - Andrew Zuckerman - Behind the scenes ? Where would you buy those? or are they just any kind of black curtain pined up on a couple of stands?

They seem to use those to block unwanted light but will they also help with audio echo, etc. since they are so close?

Don Xaliman November 12th, 2009 02:25 PM

Years ago I went to a fabric store and bought heavy black cotton from a roll. Sewing two strips together resulted in a piece 12' x 20'. I keep it hanging in my studio attached to a wooden round pole with hooks on each end.
I've taken out on may performance shoots to use as curtains and to hide ugly backgrounds. I've hung it across the ceiling and a wall of my music room and it made the room sound really good and dead. I've rolled it down one wall and then onto the floor to engulf the whole video frame in black with the talent standing on it.

It's getting a bit ragged around the edges but I've only ever cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner.
After may years it still in use.
No secret mystery fabric, just non reflective black cotton. I think it cost $10 per meter, from the roll in the store.
Don't pay more just because you saw it in an APPLE commercial. :)

Michael LaHatte November 12th, 2009 04:45 PM

I considered these: Custom Blankets. Sound Blanket Moving Blanket for soundproofing, Producer Choice, Premium Quilted Pad - Mini, Sound , They seem reasonable but I did not like the visible stitching. I think getting heavy black cotton fabric is a good idea too.

Liam Hall November 12th, 2009 04:55 PM

It's negative fill. It's used here to create modeling shadow on the face.

Seth Bloombaum November 12th, 2009 05:04 PM

To me, the clip seems to be documenting a series of still shoots. No sound recorded on set.

The duvetyne (commonly called "duve") is there to eliminate reflections from the walls, as Liam said above, sometimes called negative fill.

Duve helps a bit with higher frequencies. Sound blankets help with those too, and go a bit lower. But that's not what is going on in the clip.

Duve is available from your local grip and lighting source, or the usual online suspects. Yes, it is a 16oz. heavy opaque black cotton duck.

Most importantly, it has been treated with fire retardant, since it is frequently used around hot lights & all.

And, no more expensive than Don's fabric, $6.25/yd USD, apple commercial or not...

Liam Hall November 12th, 2009 05:15 PM

That's right. The fabric is Duvetyne, the lighting technique is negative fill. Oh, and I think he shot interviews in the same set-up.

Michael LaHatte November 12th, 2009 06:46 PM

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, it looked like they were shooting stills and video. You can see the microphone in several parts of the video. Duvetyne was the word I was looking for! It seems inexpensive, so I'll try it out and see how it works. Thanks!