High-End Audio Field Recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Don't omit the Aaton Cantar and the Deva from consideration either.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thank you Steve, I know Aaton Cantar, but it seems a little older than SD788, and much bigger is size. Deva and Cantar are much more expensive than the pricy SD788. Almost double the price. What I like 788 is the size is the smallest among all these high end recorders, and very easy to operate. The things I don't like 788, is the limiters cannot be activated when more than 4 tracks are used at 96KHz sampling.
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #18
Inner Circle

True, PT will not sound as good as Sound Devices, but these days, I am appalled by how many shows I have delivered that never even have an audio sweetening pass, much less any real sound design or a mix. The sad fact is that except in high end work, the video editor has had doing all of the audio and the final mix thrust upon them by cheapo producers who will let stuff just be "good enough".

Video editors, for the most part, are terrible with audio and I have cringed at some of the sound issues that some shows I have produced that have been delivered to the client. But they passed QC, passed muster with the client and my EP was glad at the extra few thousand dollars we saved by not doing sweetening, dialogue editing and a final mix. As someone who used to own a small audio post facility, this drives me up the wall. But when you don't control the budget, most people these days will deliver "good enough", not excellent. I have fought this battle several times over the past few years and have lost each time to money. And to a point, I see their point. If the client and QC don't care, why should we spend an extra $2-5K making the shjow SOUND great? (insert sarcasm).

Pro Tools preamp quality vs. Sound Devices is a very fine point that would be totally lost on 90% of the shows I produce, I am more concerned by just putting a lousy sounding audio mix done by a video editor who is clueless about audio.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I saw the Tascam HS-P82 at AES in Oct. An interesting product, designed to compete with the other 8-trk.s. I wouldn't want to use it in a bag for any length of time though. It also can record an additional stereo pair for dailies or 2-trk mixes. Full TC support, and some other unique features including a very nice display and controls. I 'think' recall touch screen features. The street price is to be around $5kusd.

I hear ya Dan... I heard more than a few video editor's mixes that make me cringe...
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Did you ever decide? Everyone did list some pretty good choices but also look into the Fostex PD606 if your still in the market for one.

Sound Devices 744T
Sound Devices 788T

I finally got the chance to use a Sound Devices mixer(442) on a set and man the sound it has is amazing. High quality mixer.

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio