DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What frequency block for wireless...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/468069-what-frequency-block-wireless.html)

Peer Landa November 19th, 2009 11:29 PM

What frequency block for wireless...?

I'm about to lash out some serious dough on a lav setup and wonder what frequency block I should pick. Is there an "interference" chart, or something, for my area? I'm in San Francisco Bay Area. Any help appreciated.

-- peer

Bruce Taylor November 20th, 2009 12:51 AM

Find Available Frequencies

Interpreting results:
-----------------------
green blocks =
Channel is vacant and is recommended to be considered for the operation of your wireless microphone.

yellow blocks =
Channel is either vacant with strong transmitters on an adjacent channel or occupied by a transmitter generating weak signal strength at the point of interest. Operation of wireless systems should be possible.

white =
Channel is occupied by either analog or digital TV broadcast station. Likely to cause interference with the operation of wireless systems.

Though I don't know how up-to-date this is, to be honest. 'Cause I thought the 698MHz - 806MHz band was made illegal for wireless mics in the USA, yet some results I get give GREEN in that range (presumably because they are not used by a TV station in a particular state).

Most wireless mics selling in the USA now:
566 to 590 MHz
638 to 662 MHz
from Sony.

Sennheiser have similar ranges. None are in the 700ish-800ish range (illegal now in USA).

Peer Landa November 20th, 2009 12:59 AM

Bruce...
..thank you so much -- that was exactly what I was looking for!

-- peer

Bruce Taylor November 20th, 2009 01:05 AM

My pleasure.
(I have been researching this like mad for the past week)

John Willett November 20th, 2009 01:38 AM

The Sennheiser G3 frequency versions used in the USA are A, B and G (G is between A and B).

Garrett Low November 20th, 2009 02:42 AM

Peer,

I just got the EW100 G3 in the G block and have had no problems so far. I'm in the SF Bay Area and have used it from Marin to South SF.

Garrett

Peer Landa November 20th, 2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1449968)
Peer, I just got the EW100 G3 in the G block and have had no problems so far. I'm in the SF Bay Area and have used it from Marin to South SF.

So what's the MHz for our G block?

-- peer

Garrett Low November 20th, 2009 03:09 AM

Freq: 566-608 Mhz

Garrett

Peer Landa November 20th, 2009 10:45 AM

Bummer. My plan was to also use this lav setup back in Norway (block-31 800-820 MHz), and, as Bruce pointed out, since this 31-block is also vacant here in northern California, I wonder if it's perhaps possible to have, for example a Sennheiser unit set/modified for this block (their new G3 model has a frequency range of 516-865 MHz).

-- peer

Nathan Moody November 20th, 2009 10:46 AM

My Lectro 400 series are super-happy on Block 21 in Marin and SF counties! RAMPS posts also report lots of free space on blocks 20 and 25.

Mark Boyer November 20th, 2009 10:59 AM

Freq Block look up

Go to the lectrosonics page and do a frequency lookup for your area (in Seattle block 25 is what I use).

Lectrosonics-Switch Settings versus Frequency Charts

Lectrosonics | TV Station Lookup

John Willett November 20th, 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1450110)
Bummer. My plan was to also use this lav setup back in Norway (block-31 800-820 MHz), and, as Bruce pointed out, since this 31-block is also vacant here in northern California, I wonder if it's perhaps possible to have, for example a Sennheiser unit set/modified for this block (their new G3 model has a frequency range of 516-865 MHz).

Be careful - in Europe the 800MHz block is all about to be sold off to the mobile phone companies for wireless broadband and I think you will find that all frequencies from the late 700MHz area, all the way up to 862MHz will be totally unusable after 2012.

The licence-free frequencies (863-865Hz) will continue to be legal all over Europe beyond this date as these are by international (ETSI) agreement.

I think you will find that there is no safe frequency that is the same in Europe and the Americas.

Nate Haustein April 21st, 2013 09:48 AM

Re: What frequency block for wireless...?

About to take a trip to Norway for some shooting. Can anyone help me out with the frequencies I need to use? Or even better, a good contact that I can acquire a set from for around a month?

Robert Benda April 21st, 2013 11:38 AM

Whatever ends up being right for you, the best option is a microphone/receiver that has selectable channels. Apart from any frequencies that always have interference in your area, the last thing you need is to go somewhere for a ceremony, and find out they use the same microphone channel. Mine are selectable 1-9 on a Shure mic. If I get noise on one channel, I just switch to another. Some mics do this automatically.

Paul R Johnson April 21st, 2013 11:45 AM

Robert - that's not what they're talking about. You are talking about selecting the channels from the range your unit covers, they are talking about the different version available - nobody yet makes one that covers all, so if you take a working unit from one location to another, where that band is occupied by higher power devices, you may not have an empty channel to use that is free - plus, the licensing authority in the area/country may not appreciate you working out of band. As an example, the UK now have a different allocation to the rest of europe, so touring from the UK to mainland Europe is not simple any longer.