New studio mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New studio mic

I currently have the Audio-Technica AT2020USB and the Rode NTG-3 microphones. I would like to upgrade from the AT2020USB to a more professional and better sounding mic to be used for studio voice overs mainly. The NTG-3 could be used I suppose. But shotgun mics aren't the best for studio recording, correct? I would like to spend around $300.

Here's the mic I'm looking at for $290.95: Audio-Technica AT4033/CL - Studio Microphone.

If you can think of a better mic for the job or have any advice please let me know.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Also take a look at the Rode Procaster and NT1a mics.
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Another option is a Heil dynamic mic. Look at the PR35 and PR40:
PR Series Microphones | Heil Sound

Here is the homepage:
Heil Sound | Professional Microphones for Broadcast, Recording and Live Sound

These are great mics for broadcast and voiceover and worth trying. A dynamic mic can give better results in a less than perfect studio. Condenser mics will pic up all noise and need an excellent recording environment/studio for voiceovers.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Also take a look at the Rode Procaster and NT1a mics.
In your opinion which one is better for voice overs? The Procaster sounds perfect, but then again I read a review for the Procaster that said that it is NOT best suited for voice overs and recommended the NT1a. What do you guys think?
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I own the NT1a and like its sound. I haven't used the Procaster but I like Rode products in gernal and I'm certain it will performs as advertised. In my radio daze the station used Electrovoice RE-20's and I always liked the sound on my airchecks. Different mics work well with different voices so your mileage may vary.
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Mitch, The microphone is only one component of the voice over.
If it were me, I would use that $300 budget on something that would make a bigger difference in your sound than a new mic... ROOM ACOUSTICS!
Yes room treatment is not as flashy as a new mic, but $300 worth of properly treated room will go much farther than $300 worth of new Mic.
Remember, no matter which microphone you stick in front of your mouth, whether a $159 or a $3k microphone, it is still going to be in your room which has it's own acoustic signature. True different type microphones will reveal more or less room, large diaphragm condenser vs Dynamic for example. But they will still pickup the room signature.

I know you were looking for a microphone recommendation so here ya go...
I would keep using what you have for now, and not worry about what some review said about your microphone!

Get your room sounding good, and any microphone can sound good in it.

My response is based on 30 years of professional voice work.
All the Best!

Dave
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Trustee

How do we find out about 'room acoustics'?

I record in a room about 3.9m x 4.6m, which has big double doors opening into an adjacent room when filming. The room has outside walls of 1.6m and 1.9m high and has quite a complicated roof - too difficult to describe without a plan. The roof slopes at 30 and 37 degrees off outside walls meeting a hip from one corner. It has carpet on the floor.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Trustee

Or even the Heil PR 20 UT for $99:
PR 20UT | Heil Sound
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for your replies!

Now one more question. I have the CEntrance MicPort Pro USB preamp. Would there be any advantages in getting the Procaster and using the external preamp or getting the Podcaster which plugs directly into the computer using USB?

Has anyone here used the Procaster? If so, how do you like it? How is the audio quality for voice overs?

David, yes we are also working on the acoustics of recording room.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio