Build a cheap boom? Also: Good headphones for the job? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Build a cheap boom? Also: Good headphones for the job?

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way / tutorial for how to build your own boom. I'm using the azden SGM-2X, so I already have a shock mount. I've come across this guide: http://www.dvuser.co.uk/Main%20pages...om%20pole.html but it seems that the landing net handles required are hard to find in North America. Does anyone have a good home made boom? I've considered the option of using a swiffer handle, but I'm not sure that the screw is the right size.

Another quick question:
As far as monitoring headphones go, I'm looking for something cheap that will get the job done well and will have no problem being powered by my Panasonic PVGS70 camera. Has anyone had any luck with the Sennheiser PX200s for this, or the Sennheiser HD201s?

Thanks in advance
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you really want one on the cheap, just go to your local Home Depot, Lowes, or painting supply store. Get a long collapsible pole used by painters. The one I have is only two piece and extends to 8 foot. I actually use mine for painting, but to use as a boom just drill and tap the end for a stud. If you don’t have taps and dies, just buy a stud at the hardware store that has one end with machine threads one end and wood screw threads on the other. Drill a hole and screw it in, cheap and totally usable.

Maybe I should just start making adaptors for these poles?

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Major Player

I've got one of these too. It's a three stage paint extension thingo. I have a homemade shockmount on the top. To fix the screw in I first cut the last 25mm off, removed the plastic plug, drilled and fixed a screw into it from the inside out, then reattached the plug to the end. I didn't trust the crimping method the mfgr used so I put a smell bolt in to hold the plug in - also means it's removable without cutting if I ever want to take it off.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I also bought one of those Home Depot 6' - 12' extension painter poles (twist to lock at any length), and a thread adapter for the end:

http://www.buddipole.com/centeead.html

or you could add one of these to the ends to make it easy to angle:

http://doityourself.com/store/6242804.htm

or one of these angle adapters:

http://www.ettore.com/pro/prod_poles.html

not sure how you would attach your existing azden, but I'm sure it'd be relatively easy, that way you cold angle the mic down.

I haven't finished mine, but I intend to make the shock mount out of a 'PVC TEE' piece:

http://dripworksusa.com/store/store....html&mainFrame

that will screw into that thread adapter I listed above, and then I'll just string some o-rings or other durable rubber bands across both ends like the pro models.
Shawn Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

You might also want to check out the cheap line of boom poles carried by Markertek:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=3&sort=prod

Just note the thread info as you may have to also get an adapter to fit your shock mount. I have one and it is ok. The only real advantage over a painter's pole is that it collapses to a much smaller size (fits in my tripod bag unlike the painters pole). I also have a painter's pole I rigged up with a bolt through the plastic plug. They both function the same. Dont forget the hairballs to hold your cable on.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Wait-Hold the Phone, or the Mic!

Just got back from Home Depot where I was picking up some parts to finish my green screen frame.

As I was walking down the isle, there was a display for the light bulb changing helpers. You know the kind that extend out and hold the bulb, like for high ceiling fixtures. I bought one for $19.95. This very light weight, (scale says just one pound), because unlike a painting pole, it does not have to resist the pressure of pushing on a roller.

This rod is in four twist and lock sections. It extends to 11 Feet and collapses back to only 3 ½ feet long. It has a nice rubber handle on it and it will make a great boom mic pole. And, of course you can change light bulbs too!

Mike
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info. It turns out that my father has a painting pole somewhere, so I'll try that first. Failing that, any of the options mentioned will work well, I'm sure. Thanks again.
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

How would you go about attaching a shock mount to a light bulb changer? As well, what would I use to cut a painting pole?
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Major Player

What I did on my painters pole was:
cut off the rivet that holds the plastic plug with threads on to the metal pole (using a hacksaw),
pull the plug out of the metal pole
drilled a hole in the end of the plug,
inserted a bolt through the hole with threads that fit my shock mount,
tightened a lock nut onto the bolt to hold it,
and reinserted the plastic plug into the metal pole.
The plug can be epoxied in, riveted in, or through bolted back into the pole.
A 20 minute job if you go slow.
When you are done you just need to screw your shock mount onto the bolt to use the pole.

Cut a metal pole with a hacksaw, but if you use the above method you dont need to cut the pole.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The light bulb changer I bought has a soft suction cup adaptor. I just happened to look at it yesterday and thought; all I have to do to use it quickly, is to wrap the rubber cup around the mic, and secure it with rubber bands! Worked great!

Additionally, when you get a shock mount for your mic, it will have a threaded mounting bolt hole in it. Match those threads by attaching a bolt or stud to the end of the pole, as I mentioned in my previous post. You are obviously not going first class, money is no object here, so why not just tape a long bolt, with the proper threads, on the end of the pole?

Although I am not sure why you would want to cut the pole, as you will not be able to put length back on easily, a hacksaw will do just fine.
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Or avoid the DIY headaches ...

Trew Audio lists the K-Tek Avalon carbon fibre pole, extendable to almost 9 feet and with an internal coiled cable for $400. And they also have a Lightwave pole for $229. When you figure the cost of your time and so forth it's not THAT much more expensive to with the lighter, longer, less creaky, pro gear.
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio