Voiceover mic advice needed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #16
New Boot

I use a Neumann TLM-103, EV RE20 and 27, and a Heil PR40. I've spent 20 years in radio and been in the same classic rock studio for the last 14. We've still got two of the original '27's that were in the studio when I got there. The 3rd was replaced with a '20 when the country station needed a '27. Very durable, time tested microphones...all of these. Not sure when the TLM-103 was released, but it's been here forever...the Heil's are well known for a budget answer with high end results:) Used by many "Big Voice" V/O champs, the Heil is a "Must" in my opinion for any pro v/o guy...ladies, not so much.

Are you female or male? There are actually significant differences for different voices and their compatibility with different mics. Brighter, warmer, sterile, whatever the latest buzz word for "sound"....there are significant sound signatures. It's good to mess with different mics and pre-amps/processors.

I really like both EV mics for their universal sound (both genders...deep or high voice, specifically v/o, not singing).

The Heil is my favorite for medium to deep male voices at under $500. (You can grab one on ebay or Craigslist quite often...used, for about 225-250 and they do NOT lose their value)

My overall favorite V/O mic though is the Neumann TLM-103. It is a fantastic V/O mic, incredible guitar or acoustic string mic, and all around a phenomenal addition to any sound kit. (I've used mine at many shoots with my hvx200a and ex-1). They are VERY spendy new with a Shockmount...but, used you can grab one for about 50% of the new price (650-700), again, if you keep your eye on CL or ebay.

It I would run, not walk away from using any type of shotgun or video (specific) mics for V/O. This is certainly not what they are made for. You'll be much better off with a "studio" mic for your work.

Others also to consider are, as mentioned earlier (especially if you like the Shure sound), the SM7. I've also used SM57 and 58's in a pinch for V/o...we have many in our mobile sound gear...and they're not bad:) Especially if you're doing an singing or instrument mic'ing (along with your V/O)

The Marshall (Mxl-V67g) is also a decent under $100 investment.

Good Luck!

Jer
Jeremy Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Harlan View Post

It I would run, not walk away from using any type of shotgun or video (specific) mics for V/O. This is certainly not what they are made for. You'll be much better off with a "studio" mic for your work.

Jer
I'm guessing you don't frequent professional voice over studios very often Jeremy.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #18
Trustee

I had a national talent record their VO using a 416 because " thats how they do it in LA " and I didn't realize they were using it. I directed via phone patch :(

BIG MISTAKE !

sound of the mic sux and is too bright for me to begin with. couple this with proximity effect and cutting pieces together required EQ to blend it all together that added a lot of extra work to make it all work so you couldn't tell.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #19
Trustee

I have been given a tour of a VO studio used to do VOs for the BBC and overseas productions that required talent with an Australian accent. Studio would link via aggregated ISDN channels. Indeed they used 416 shotguns and that quite surprised me too.
The thing was, these were purpose built studios with the right acoustics. At times more than one person would be speaking their parts. I doubt a 416 would give the same results outside of a purpose built studio with talent who knew what they were doing.

For my own feeble VO efforts I use a Rode NT1A in front of a Reflexions Filter and with a popper stopper in front of the mic. None of the people in front of the mic are remotely pro VO people or trained in any way. I find I get acceptable results considering with a minimum of fuss. At least one of my sessions was used in very low budget TVC and everyone was happy with the sound.

I've used the same mic in other roles. It probably isn't the very best mic for any of them however as a general purpose, can be used for almost anything, kind of a mic it is not to be overlooked for the price. The only role I could not see it being used for is inside a kick drum. I don't have uber expensive mic preamps and several times I've been forced to use the NT1A directly into a camera. The mic's high output and low self noise makes it a bit of an all round winner in my opinion, especially for the money.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I have the Rode NT2-A and rather like it for the small amount of VO that I do - I also have a pop screen and have been thinking about the Reflexion, but haven't sprung for it yet.

Any comments on how you like it, how effective it is, etc?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Trustee

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The human voice is NOT a big challenge for a microphone. Period. It's not like you're trying to capture the complex harmonics of, say, an orchestrial harp or the sharp attack of a bugle at full volume.

The problem is that people hear the top voice talent - most of whom have FABULOUS voices (which are further trained and refined over years of practice) and who also have TALENT in interpretation and breath control and delivery. Recorded in pristine conditions and processed painstakingly to maximize whatever the particular sound is required (from highly compressed "screamer" radio spots - to mellow weepy movie trailers.

Then they somehow think that if they just find the right damned MICRPHONE - they'll sound just like that.

POPPYCOCK.

It's STUPID thinking. (Warning: Plan 9 from Outer Space reference ahead)
Stupid, stupid... stupid!

You'll NEVER sound like Ernie Anderson - unless you naturally sound like Ernie Anderson
You'll NEVER sound like Don La Fontaine - unless you naturally sound like Don La Fontaine.

You can add all the compression and hype all the bass you want - but in the end, all you'll ever sound like is bassy, compressed YOU.

The better the microphone you buy - the MORE accurately like YOU it's likely to sound.

If that's good - fine. If that's crappy - well, there you go.

Sorry.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #22
Trustee

Borrowing a line from an old Budweiser commercial, all I can say is... True True!
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Borrowing a line from an old Budweiser commercial, all I can say is... True True!
Wasn't that Miss Lili von Shtupp? ("Is it twue, shatze, vat dey say....? Ohhhh it's twue, it's TWUE...!)
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #24
Inner Circle

But without the compression and EQ, I sound like a thin, shallow ME. ;)
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Well put! So maybe the question is what mic will give you the VOG (Voice of God)
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Well put! So maybe the question is what mic will give you the VOG (Voice of God)
No microphone will give you the voice of God, for God speaks in a still small voice!
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Uhh, maybe in reality, but not in the old movies!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio