DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   XLR input channels - linked & Seperate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/468874-xlr-input-channels-linked-seperate.html)

Jason Selmes December 3rd, 2009 05:36 PM

XLR input channels - linked & Seperate

OK guys,

Seminar last week. I used the seperate fnction.

Basically i was using

channel 1: Sennerher G3 Wireless
Channel 2: Rode NTG 2 for MC to announce speakers

No the problme is i have CH 1 coming through the right Channel and CH 2 coming through the left channel. It seems kinda odd when you listen to it.

How can i copy yhr audio and revers it so i get both mics coming from both sides of the channels and headphones?

Is linked better to get both coming through both channels?

I know i can copy the audio track and then flip it so i get both audio coming from both speakers. whats the best way to do this?

Pete Cofrancesco December 3rd, 2009 06:15 PM

Read your camera manual to see if it has the ability to mix two sources. I'm assuming the camera has 2 xlr inputs. "Linked" may mean the levels for the two channels are linked together but the sources are not mixed. If it doesn't you would need to buy a mixer such as Juice Linked, which mounts to the bottom of the camera.

Just be aware that it can be advantageous having them separate. Lets say for example, the wireless lav starts rubbing up against something or falls off, interference, or the person is talking privately off stage, or the levels are out of whack, then in post you remove the unwanted mic or adjust its levels, then mix them together, but if its mixed at the camera then you are stuck.

Edward Carlson December 3rd, 2009 06:54 PM

And depending on your editing program, you can set the pan of your audio tracks to center, so both channels are coming out of both right and left channels.

Jason Selmes December 3rd, 2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1455802)
Read your camera manual to see if it has the ability to mix two sources. I'm assuming the camera has 2 xlr inputs. "Linked" may mean the levels for the two channels are linked together but the sources are not mixed. If it doesn't you would need to buy a mixer such as Juice Linked, which mounts to the bottom of the camera.

Just be aware that it can be advantageous having them separate. Lets say for example, the wireless lav starts rubbing up against something or falls off, interference, or the person is talking privately off stage, or the levels are out of whack, then in post you remove the unwanted mic or adjust its levels, then mix them together, but if its mixed at the camera then you are stuck.

Good advice Pete... im with you on this... i might keep em seperate for know and mix them later

Jason Selmes December 3rd, 2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 1455818)
And depending on your editing program, you can set the pan of your audio tracks to center, so both channels are coming out of both right and left channels.

ed i use premiere pro cs4.

I am a reformed pinnacle user and getting used to it!!! thanks forthe advice