XLR input channels - linked & Seperate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR input channels - linked & Seperate

OK guys,

Seminar last week. I used the seperate fnction.

Basically i was using

channel 1: Sennerher G3 Wireless
Channel 2: Rode NTG 2 for MC to announce speakers

No the problme is i have CH 1 coming through the right Channel and CH 2 coming through the left channel. It seems kinda odd when you listen to it.

How can i copy yhr audio and revers it so i get both mics coming from both sides of the channels and headphones?

Is linked better to get both coming through both channels?

I know i can copy the audio track and then flip it so i get both audio coming from both speakers. whats the best way to do this?
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Read your camera manual to see if it has the ability to mix two sources. I'm assuming the camera has 2 xlr inputs. "Linked" may mean the levels for the two channels are linked together but the sources are not mixed. If it doesn't you would need to buy a mixer such as Juice Linked, which mounts to the bottom of the camera.

Just be aware that it can be advantageous having them separate. Lets say for example, the wireless lav starts rubbing up against something or falls off, interference, or the person is talking privately off stage, or the levels are out of whack, then in post you remove the unwanted mic or adjust its levels, then mix them together, but if its mixed at the camera then you are stuck.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Major Player

And depending on your editing program, you can set the pan of your audio tracks to center, so both channels are coming out of both right and left channels.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Read your camera manual to see if it has the ability to mix two sources. I'm assuming the camera has 2 xlr inputs. "Linked" may mean the levels for the two channels are linked together but the sources are not mixed. If it doesn't you would need to buy a mixer such as Juice Linked, which mounts to the bottom of the camera.

Just be aware that it can be advantageous having them separate. Lets say for example, the wireless lav starts rubbing up against something or falls off, interference, or the person is talking privately off stage, or the levels are out of whack, then in post you remove the unwanted mic or adjust its levels, then mix them together, but if its mixed at the camera then you are stuck.
Good advice Pete... im with you on this... i might keep em seperate for know and mix them later
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
And depending on your editing program, you can set the pan of your audio tracks to center, so both channels are coming out of both right and left channels.
ed i use premiere pro cs4.

I am a reformed pinnacle user and getting used to it!!! thanks forthe advice
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio