Wired Lav mics and the Shure MX185 Cardoid or Shure MX184 Condenser (Supercardoid) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Wired Lav mics and the Shure MX185 Cardoid or Shure MX184 Condenser (Supercardoid)

Audiophiles, I could use your assistance. I am in the market for a wired lav mic in the sub-$200 (US) range and have been looking at the Shure MX185 - Cardioid Wired Lavalier Microphone | B&H and the Shure MX184 - Supercardioid Wired Lavalier mic | B&H mics at B&H. I will be using these for on camera interviewing and training video voiceovers. Do you guys have any experience with or thoughts on these mics? Are there are wired lavs I should be considering in the sub-$200 price range (more sub the better, without sacrificing quality, of course)? Your input is greatly appreciated as I need to place the order early this week. Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally, I prefer omni lavs. They vary less when the talent moves their head.

Given that, I'd not pick the supercardioid.

I recently bought an AT899. It's a bit large, and not terribly sensitive, but sounds good.
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with with Jon .. omni. We're very happy with Sony ECM77s, a bit more pricey tho.

For interviewing you'd need something else besides a lav. Cheers.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had good experience interviewing with my wireless lavs but I know interference and dropouts are an issue at this location from the last time I filmed there so I figured wired was a better option. What do you recommend other than lavs, and are there any omni mics you recommend in the sub-$200 range? Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I would recommend an Omni unless you will be working with a sound system, in that case a caridoid would be less prone to feedback.
For under $200, the AT-899 is good.

Jon remarked: "I recently bought an AT899. It's a bit large, and not terribly sensitive, but sounds good"
A bit large?? ... compared to a B6 maybe.
I've never had an issue with the sensitivity using it with Lectros or G2s.

I'm not particularly fond of the somewhat stiff cable though.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Oops. My mistake.

I bought the AT803b, which is a bit large. The AT899 is tiny.

The AT803b is cheaper and sounds fuller than the AT899. You pay for the smaller capsule, and it's easier to make a larger capsule sound good.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you for the recommendations, i will check that out.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Quick question. I looked at the AT899 and if I am understanding this correctly, the TA3F connector goes into the power module that has 3pin balanced XLR out. Can I use phantom power from my camera to power it over XLR via the power module or does using the power module require powering on battery?

Edit: Link to item on B&H for reference: Audio-Technica | AT899 - Condenser Lavalier Microphone | AT899

Last edited by Bryan Daugherty; December 8th, 2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: to add link for future reference
Bryan Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Quick question. I looked at the AT899 and if I am understanding this correctly, the TA3F connector goes into the power module that has 3pin balanced XLR out. Can I use phantom power from my camera to power it over XLR via the power module or does using the power module require powering on battery?

Edit: Link to item on B&H for reference: Audio-Technica | AT899 - Condenser Lavalier Microphone | AT899
It doesn't require a battery if your camera supplies phantom power. I own 3 and like them. I agree what the others said about omni. In addition AT899 clip allows the mic to detach if the talent walks away.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio