DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sound Devices MM-1 and GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/469446-sound-devices-mm-1-gl2.html)

Kent Fraser December 14th, 2009 05:08 PM

Sound Devices MM-1 and GL2

We're looking to use an XLR lav with the MM-1 and from there go into a Canon GL2. What's the best way to do this for optimal recording levels in the GL2?

Thanks

Jay Massengill December 15th, 2009 10:53 AM

Do you have the MA-300 XLR adapter for the GL-2? Even if the answer is yes you'll need an attenuator to bring down the line-level output of the MM-1 so the camera's mic input won't be overloaded.
There are a number of other ways to combine the MM-1 and the GL-2 but all would involve attenuating the output of the MM-1.
Personally I'd use a BeachTek-type device to accept the line-level signal from the MM-1, knock it down to mic level, make a secure connection to the camera's mic jack, as well as give you some control over how the mic or mics' signals are recorded to the two channels of the camera.

Kent Fraser December 15th, 2009 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply- it raises a few more questions:

How much does the signal need to be attenuated?
Does the Beachtek (or similar) conform the line level to mic level?
Is there a less-expensive way to do this?

Dean Sensui December 15th, 2009 01:10 PM

I have an AT-8202 in-line attenuator from Markertek and have it set at -30 to give the the mic level I need.

Audio Technica Audio Technica AT8202 XLR Attenuator Attenuation Devices at Markertek.com

I set the gain at the MM-1 to give me a proper mic level, then set the attenuator and the camera to achieve the right levels.

Jay Massengill December 15th, 2009 02:25 PM

The less expensive way to do this would use a Shure A96F Camcorder Interface:
Shure - A96F Camcorder Interface

combined with the AT-8202 that Dean mentions or the similar Shure A15AS switchable attenuator:
Shure - A15AS In-line Switchable Attenuator

The problem with this less expensive approach is it only allows one mic at a time to be attached to a GL2 camera and you have to secure the A96F to the camera or tripod head in some fashion that usually involves gaffer tape.
A BeachTek-type device allows one or two mics to be routed into the camera, attenuates the signal from line to mic level with a switch, allows different levels to each channel and is rigidly secured to the camera.
You could always wire up your own interface cable, that's cheaper if you have the skills, parts and knowledge.
Another alternative would be to use a JuicedLink preamp that attaches to the camera in place of the MM-1/BeachTek combo. You didn't say for sure you already have the MM-1 or were just looking at it since it is a very good mic preamp.
Lastly, if this is just for static situations, then a stand-alone audio recorder like a Zoom H4N can be used without much difficulty. If you already have the MM-1, it would serve as a great front end for a Zoom which can accept line-level input on a full-sized balanced connector. If you don't have the MM-1 yet, then your XLR lav mic can also connect directly to the Zoom.