Question about a field recorder setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Question about a field recorder setup

I知 fairly new to videography but learning as I go along. I am looking at adding a field recorder to my arsenal. I want add recorded sound to my video during NLE and I also want to be able to record live during video recording (using an assistant).

I知 looking at a used Marantz PMD661 field recorder and a 3-Channel field audio mixer.

My understanding is that the mixer allows me to monitor each channel (mic) but does my recorder need to be able to record each channel separately? When recording with camera, I want to monitor the accessory mic on the camera, the wireless mic receiver, and a boom mic.

I知 just an amateur so I don稚 need top-of-the-line equipment but I won稚 buy the least expensive (unknown brands) either. Staying in the middle so to speak.

Thank you for any and all help.
David B. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

With the 661 you can record a maximum of two (2) channels, using the recorder's own mic or line inputs, or via mic/line outputs from an external mixer.
Some manufacturer's field production mixers, like the Sound Devices 302/442 for instance, allow the operator to 'solo', (listen the individual input channel) through headphones in 'pre-fader' (PFL) or 'post-fader' (AFL) modes.
FWIW, The Mackie VLZ, SR and Onyx series mixer have this function, however they are not usually considered for field production. (battery powered portables)

PS: 'AFL' stands for "After Fader Listen" .. 'PFL' stands for "Pretty Fu**ing loud".
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you've got wireless and a boom, what are you using the on-camera mic for? Just curious as the other two could provide far better quality than the on-cam mic. You could always record the on-cam mic to tape, go double-system with the wireless and boom to the L and R channels of your 661, and then sync them in post. That would give you four total channels (two on the cam, two on the 661).
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you

Thank you Rick and Nathan.

I like your idea Nathan, about using a double system for part of my idea of using a field recorder. That is exactly what I had in mind.

I知 a one-man operation in the field or in-doors right now so I知 trying to get the right sound equipment for what I can do alone, at least for now until an assistant is added as needed.

Thanks again to both of you.
David B. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moody View Post
That would give you four total channels (two on the cam, two on the 661).
With a nice phase shift and comb filtering between the on camera mic and the others. Not very useful.

The outputs of the PMD661 are live while it's recording. Run your mics the to the mixer, mixer to the recorder, and it's outputs into the camera. Everything is in sync and you can freely replace the in-camera track with the PMD661 recording.

Last edited by Kirk Candlish; December 21st, 2009 at 03:26 AM.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio