Wind guard for studio microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Wind guard for studio microphone

I've taken a liking to using two microphones for my camera: one shotgun and the other a BLUE Dragonfly set at a lower recording level to capture peaks faithfully. I'm using a "dead cat" for the shotgun to guard against wind noise in outdoor recording. What would I use on something the size and shape of the BLUE?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Er.............

Link, perhaps?

Not intimately aquainted with mentioned transducer.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Major Player

chris, a quick google search turned this up: Blue | Dragonfly - Cardioid Condenser Mic | DRAGONFLY | B&H
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks, Trevor.........

But that wasn't really my point, whatever.

Rycote denies all knowledge, so does Rhode.

Guess it's a "back to you" scenario, Gints - it's centre swivelled, which means just about any "ball" sock is going to have to be slit to fit.

If no one has an off the cuff answer, you'll have to wing it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I've taken a liking to using two microphones for my camera: one shotgun and the other a BLUE Dragonfly set at a lower recording level to capture peaks faithfully. I'm using a "dead cat" for the shotgun to guard against wind noise in outdoor recording. What would I use on something the size and shape of the BLUE?
Is this for indoor or outdoor use?

Assuming outdoor - from the picture it looks like the mount and elastic can be removed - so it should then fit inside a Rycote Basket Windshield or S-series.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Major Player

For indoor use these are great ASVS6 Microphone Popper Stopper Pop Filter Screen -  Mic Pop Filters- Mic Mounts, Windscreens, & Pop-Filters- Microphones- Pro Audio Accessories- Accessories- PSSL.com
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Trustee

These people make a very wide variety of foam and fur windscreen products for about all microphone brands and models...
Olsen Audio Group: WindTech Microphone Windscreen & Mic Muff Home Page
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Blue Microphones

I'm using the microphone indoors without a wind guard of any kind. For outdoor use in windy conditions, I'd prefer to find a "dead cat" that will fit the BLUE Dragonfly microphone. Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys. Richard's suggestion for the Olson foam guards are probably the best I can do for now short of sewing my own Dead Cat from fake fur.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; January 4th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Since you are using it in a studio I think what you are really looking for is a "pop filter" (mesh disc on a holder/stand).

The mesh screen on your mic surrounds the mic element so you already have a wind/pop filter built in. Most sound guys remove any wind guards indoors so as to get the cleanest (least colored) sound possible.
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Trustee

If you're after a "wind muff" sort of thing the folks at TheWindCutter.com, Professional Microphone Windscreens may be able to fit darn near any mic with something effective.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Blue Microphones

I'm using the microphone indoors without a wind guard of any kind. For outdoor use in windy conditions, I'd prefer to find a "dead cat" that will fit the BLUE Dragonfly microphone. Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys. Richard's suggestion for the Olson foam guards are probably the best I can do for now short of sewing my own Dead Cat from fake fur.
A dead cat on it's own isn't much help as wind protection comes from the volume of still air you trap round the microphone.

I still think it would fit in something like a Rycote S-series if you remove the supplied suspension.
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
If you're after a "wind muff" sort of thing the folks at TheWindCutter.com, Professional Microphone Windscreens may be able to fit darn near any mic with something effective.
Thanks, Bruce. I had no idea that custom muffs were available.
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
A dead cat on it's own isn't much help as wind protection comes from the volume of still air you trap round the microphone.

I still think it would fit in something like a Rycote S-series if you remove the supplied suspension.
Thanks for the explanation, John. The BLUE dragonfly diaphragm is encased in a ball-shaped screen. Would that be enough? The S-series looks good and ball-shaped foams and muffs may also be suitable.
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Major Player

The "ball shaped screen" is at best a popperstopper - for outside use you will really need a proper basket - check with Rycote to see if it will fit in an S-series, otherwise you would need a basket.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Gints,
Exactly what are you using the Blue mic for? On-camera interviews V/Os, music vocals.
An unusual choice for interviews.. . I see it has nice sensitivity specs, that's always helpful for low-talkers.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio