Review in progress: Edirol R44 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 18th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg View Post
Update on the battery: 11 hours of recording and still going strong, battery just says half way! Definitely a winner. This is the one:

Globalmediapro Li65S Lithium ion Battery 65WH
Wow. That'll outlast you! :-)

The pack I built is just over 30 watt-hours. But it's also powering the wireless receivers. The Li65S might be just a little too big to fit my own application but the price per watt is hard to beat. Thanks for the link!
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Final update on the battery; 15 hours of recording, then the card was full, and I was out, but when I came home (about 5 hours later the R44 was still on and the battery gave me 1 LED...
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
I power my setup with a nano-phosphate battery pack I built using A123 Systems cells. It's the yellow block on the left side of the Pelican case. They're balance-charged with a Cellpro charger. This technology, by the way, comes from the radio-control helicopter industry.

The battery pack also powers a pair of Audio-Technica ATW-1800 wireless receivers for four independent channels of audio. Runs 4 hours at a stretch.
Very cool set up Dean. Can't imagine they'd ever let you in to an airport with it though, looks like a bomb!
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Dean what wireless mics do you have?

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Hankerson View Post
Dean what wireless mics do you have?

Nicole
It's the Audio-Technica ATW-1800. Each receiver has two bodypacks. And I'm using the AT 899CW mics, not the stock mics.
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #21
DVCreators.Net

Dean,

That's a cool set-up. On the AT899c lav, do you find yourself using the vampire clip much or something else out of the included accessory kit?
Attached Thumbnails
Review in progress: Edirol R44-at899_gp-1.jpg  
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Guy...

I haven't used the vampire clip.

I shoot a lot of people wearing t-shirts and modified the standard alligator clip to hold the mic capsule about an inch below the shirt's knit collar. The only thing showing is part of the clip.

Sometimes I'll tape the mic capsule under the edge of a piece of clothing, just out of sight.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I find the 899's vampire clip usually creates a noticeable lump under clothing. I use a cable clip vampire from a deceased Tram or Sonotrim.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM   #24
Regular Crew

How did you do it?

Hey Vincent great posts. My setup for use is actually getting really close to your own, except I'm using the 5D MKII. I was originally using with DV/HDV gear. I'm lucky that I have been able to survive on batteries. More typically, I am able to just plug it into AC. However, I do like to be prepared. So you lost me at D-Tap. Do you have to modify a cable or were you able to use a cable meant for something else that happen to work with the battery and recorder? Battery power is the one area that I know nothing. Most other equipment I have been able to hold my own but this topic I go blank.

BTW Dean, stop scaring the children! That picture is more than just impressive. The right angle connectors alone look like they should be hooked up to scuba gear. We often make our own props from everyday gear that most people don't typically see. Your pack would easy make off as a bomb, seismic gear, or modern ghost busting equipment
Thomas Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hello Vincent,
That's a great resource for batteries. I looked on the site and couldn't seem to find the mounting hardware to interface the battery to the gear. Its a V mount isn't it? Did you get that from somewhere else or is it on their site somewhere?
Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Bernie and Thomas, Yes, it's a V mount battery but I actually do not use the v-mount, but the D-tap connector output. An industries standard on pro- broadcast cams for accessories like camera lights. I made myself a cable for it, a bit like this pic shows:

http://www.proav.co.uk/Gallery/produ...bSuperSize.JPG

Off course you can use the V mount connector with a baseplate like this one for about 30 euro's:

Globalmediapro VLP-1 V-Lock Mount Plate

You do have to solder a connector on it which matches with the R44.

I decided to go with the first solution since it's less bulky.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Any of you guys or anybody here own a mixer/edirol combo if so what bag are you using and could you post a picture of your bad.

Thanks
Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Since I´m really interested in the Edirol, I´d like to update this thread if possible: How are you guys getting along with the 44? I want to use it like an SD mixer as the sound solution for 5D shoots.
Did you find a good bag for the Edirol?

And does anyone know why the price of the unit went up about 100€? Did that happen in the US too?

Thanks guys!
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio