Which Mic Pre-Amp - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 5th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
I'm curious - do the characteristics you're referring to remain consistent from production run to production run or do they change over time so that mic XX manufactured in 1998 might sound great with YY preamp but one manufactured in 2000 sound less satisfactory? Any manufacturers stand out one way or the other in that regard?
Specs can change over time. That may or may not change the way the mics and preamps mate. Some changes are due to parts unavailability, some to making the mic cheaper and some to making it better.

Also, a 20 year old model XX mic may not sound the same as a 2 year old model XX mic due to the use/abuse of the former.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #17
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Hi Dwight,

I know of no such book. I was asked to write one once, but there aren't enough days left in my life I wish to devote to the topic.

DON'T get the NT1-a. Go straight to the NT2-a.
I'm not a fan of Marshalls at the moment. All of the ones I've heard have been edgy and overly bright, regardless of preamp. I'd rather go for an AT or a Rode. Which mic and what do you want to use it for?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Hi Ty,

Thanks for your insight. It's nice to read posts that have your level of background behind them. Is there a better mic you would recommend over the NT1-A at the same price-point? I'm always looking for the best bang for the buck. Remember the NT1-A has the shockmount included at a street price of about $199.
We're using an Edirol M-100FX mixer to record VO directly into a Mac/PC and would like to put together a package we can recommend to our producers. http://www.edirol.com/products/info/m100fx.html

Thanks in advance,
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks for the flowers! :)

There aren't any world class mics for VO at that price point.

Have you tried an Audio Technica AT2020?

There's an mp4 video in the video folder in my online archive that'll show you how it looks and sounds.

Hard to pop, but get the pop filter anyway. Low proximity allows you to hug the mic without getting woofy. That helps to keep the room sound to a minimum.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio