DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which lav mic would you use in this situation? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/471414-lav-mic-would-you-use-situation.html)

Kent Fraser January 21st, 2010 12:35 PM

Which lav mic would you use in this situation?

We're looking for a wired lav mic to use in upcoming single-person interviews in relatively quiet, but uncontrolled settings (like people's homes). The mic doesn't have to be hidden. We want one that doesn't pick up a lot of ambient sound but still is capable of good sound for sometimes quieter-speaking people.

What do you use and recommend?

Thanks

Kent

Battle Vaughan January 21st, 2010 12:39 PM

Have had excellent results with Tram tr50: Tram | TR50 - Omnidirectional Lavalier Condenser | TR50BPS | B&H

Depending on your price point, Audio-Technica makes some very nice, less expensive but physically larger units, Countryman is widely recommended (although I have no experience with the latter). HTH / Battle Vaughan

Don Bloom January 21st, 2010 02:10 PM

As Battle suggested Tram50, Country B3 or B6 or maybe the AT899 or Sanken COS11 but not sure they can be hardwired but I think they can. The Countryman EMW would be to broad a capture I think (I use them and while they are great mics they do pickup some unwanted stuff in the background). Lots of choices in varying price ranges.

Rick Reineke January 21st, 2010 06:25 PM

Whatever mic you choose, and usually more important for sit down type interviews, you must attempt to control the "uncontrolled settings" by turning off as many noise-emanating devises as possible, including the carbon based type, talking and shuffling about in nearby areas... usually the entire home.

David W. Jones January 21st, 2010 09:14 PM

Any reason why you are limiting yourself to a wired lav mic?

Kent Fraser January 21st, 2010 11:02 PM

It won't be the only mic, but it will be the one I'm counting on. Many of these interviews will be a one man operation. Can't count on a boom and we don't need any of the potential issues that could arise with wireless. What do you have in mind?

Kirk Candlish January 22nd, 2010 01:56 AM

Standard in the industry, nearly indestructible, sweat proof, good value, forgiving of placement and clothing noise, major feature quality sound... That would be the Countryman B6.

David W. Jones January 22nd, 2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent Fraser (Post 1475577)
It won't be the only mic, but it will be the one I'm counting on. Many of these interviews will be a one man operation. Can't count on a boom and we don't need any of the potential issues that could arise with wireless. What do you have in mind?

If it won't be the only mic, what else are you using so advisers can suggest a complementary microphone. I find in situations like this a well placed boom with a MKH50 or CMC641 as my main mic, and a hidden Countryman B3 as a backup mic work well depending on the room.

All the Best!

Mark Boyer January 22nd, 2010 09:44 AM

I use Trams, one Countryman and a good Sennheiser lavalier. Ambient sound pickup is controled by where the mic is placed and the gain setting of the mic and less on the brand of mic. Brand and quality of the microphone is important but not as important as technique and setup.

Dan Brockett January 22nd, 2010 10:38 AM

Hi Kent:

Why not take a listen for yourself and buy what sounds best to you? There some good recommendations already in this thread but I would listen and read up
Audio In Close Up - Which Lavalier Should I Use?"

Dan

Kent Fraser January 22nd, 2010 04:17 PM

Hi Dan-

I did spend quite a bit of time yesterday going over your research. What a valuable resource. I can not say enough how helpful that was. I listened to the male voice samples in particular. It did help me narrow down the field considerably. In particular, I was listening for not only the quality... but the quietness. There was a definite difference in the "silence" between the lavs.

Thanks for doing this.

Kent