DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser EW112P G2 - or G3 in UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/472834-sennheiser-ew112p-g2-g3-uk.html)

Deniz Ahmet February 13th, 2010 05:43 PM

Sennheiser EW112P G2 - or G3 in UK

I noticed the G2's are end of line now and going fairly cheap - is there a problem with them I should know about?

Thank you

Battle Vaughan February 13th, 2010 05:58 PM

No, nothing wrong, but they have been replaced by the G3 series, which offers some improvments, such as diversity. Also, at least in the US, the C-series G2 units operate on frequencies recently given over to public service use and the FCC here has announced it will be illegal to use that particular frequency band for wireless mikes. But the G2's are still good units, particularly for the price. /Battle Vaughan

Marcus Martell February 13th, 2010 06:36 PM

Deniz how much are they in UK?

Rick Reineke February 13th, 2010 06:53 PM

To be specific the FCC took the 700 MHz band. (698-806 MHz) That contained G2's Block 'C'. (740 - 772MHz.) G2 blocks A and B are still legal in the USA.. for now.

The FCC will probably take the 500 & 600 MHz bands before too long too.
Their master plan, with urging from the lobbyists, (funded by mega-buck companies like MS, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Apple, ect.) is to take the entire TV frequency spectrum and eliminate over-the-air (OTA) TV broadcasts as well. (according to some professional broadcast publications)

John Willett February 14th, 2010 10:44 AM

The G2 camera receiver is non-diversity - the G3 is diversity.

The G3 has a wider switching bandwidth and, also, better selectivity (IE: in the UK you can get 6 IM-free frequencies in the 863-865MHz band instead of the 4 of the G2).

Deniz Ahmet February 14th, 2010 03:29 PM

Update

I've been told by a dealer that the only frequencies you will still be able to use in UK are 863-865.

Sounds shockingly restrictive - should I even bother getting one of these (same problem with the new G3s)?

John Willett February 14th, 2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deniz Ahmet (Post 1486121)
I've been told by a dealer that the only frequencies you will still be able to use in UK are 863-865.

This is partly cr*p and partly true.

The government are changing the frequency allocation - and this will be for *all* radiomics by all manufacturers.

So - after 2012 - on a Version "E" only the 863 - 865 MHz band will be legal to use. On a G3 you can get 6 IM-free frequencies in this small band. On G2 only 4 and most other manufacturers get 4 or less.

These frequencies are licence-free.

At the moment there are frequencies in Ch-69 that can be used with a licence (NB: these are *not* free). This band will go in 2012 and be replaced by frequencies in Ch-38.

You *can* use Ch-38 in some parts of the UK now and there are frequencies available in Ch-39 and 40 for areas where you can't. In about 6-months time there will be a G3 version for the UK that will work in Ch-38/39/40/41.

If you want to use radio without buying a licence you *have* to use version E and use the six (with G3 only) frequencies in the 863 - 865 MHz band.

If you are a pro and want licensed frequencies, personally, I would wait six-months and get the G3 at Ch-38.

There are lots and lots of frequencies usable in the UK, but you have to purchase a transmission licence from JFMG.