sound card recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sound card recommendation

I need to replace a Dell sound card and would like some advice. I am converting 30-to-40 year old radio station audio tapes to digital. Most of the tapes were recorded in the radio station and not off the air. The tapes are in pretty good condition, but they are not audiophile quality.

This is not exactly on topic for a video forum, but I have used some of the old radio audio in a documentary.

Thanks for your help.
Ross Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Easiest would probably be just plugging in a USB device like the Behringer UCA202. It is more than good enough for most audio tasks like digitizing radio station air check tapes.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Trustee

I also have a UCA-202 and it works fine. The UCA-222 is also available and I have one of those as well. The only difference in the two is the price, the color of the device and the 222 includes a disc of software rather than free downloading.
I use them primarily as a better output from my laptop than its built-in analog connectors (especially the headphone out).
Both devices have a switchable headphone monitor which is handy for latency-free listening to the input source if that's necessary.
I haven't used them as much for input, but I haven't noted any problems the few times I did capture with them.
They are about the lowest priced devices around and easy to use. They also work with the ASIO4ALL driver, which is a free download.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys. Those looks like a good options. I can also use it at home on my Mac.

I don't need the disc or download software. I have all the audio software I think I need, but the red one is sexy. :-)
Ross Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a Lynx L22 - very nice, but not cheap.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The Tascam US-122 is nice to. I use to use that about 3 or 4 years ago(the original blue/white one). Really great USB sound card and it offers midi. It can be purchased for around 150-160 if not less.

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio