Wireless Headset Mics used in TED Presentations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Headset Mics used in TED Presentations?

Ok, so hopefully this doesn't stray too far from the board theme, but since so many of you all are rocket scientists....

I have Sennheiser wireless mics, whose ability to reject sounds other than the wearer is problematic....but I notice the wireless headset mics used in TED presentations are more in front of the mouth.

Anyone know who makes these mics used in TED presentations like here? Right at 1:17.....
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There are actually a few manufacturers that make headworn mics BUT I'd bet that the most popular one is the Countryman B6 headworn.
E6 Omnidirectional will take you to one area of Countryman headworn mics-there are a lot of choices.
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

looks like a countryman to me. If you want to spend a little more money the DPA 4066 DPA Microphones :: Products is in my option a better sounding mic and it is more stable since the band goes over both ears. I have also had the small connector at the ear piece on a countryman disconnect during a live broadcast. Yikes.
John Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've had them disconnect too. Talk about PITA mics to use on a PA, very sensitive little bastages. I'll usually run them on their own EQ seperate from my other condensor mics.

Never thought to use them for video though. They'd be much easier to use not having to worry about feedback.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Major Player

You guys rock....thanks
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

How are you guys having them disconnect? I've used Countryman mics for years without that ever happening. Are you using a clip on the back of the collar for strain relief? The only problem I've ever had was one speaker biting the capsule off an E6 - I still don't know how he managed that. For future reference, that's not covered by the warranty.
Jordan Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #7
Trustee

Do NOT use them on cooking shows if the talent will be eating the food they prepare.

Just saying...
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
Ok, so hopefully this doesn't stray too far from the board theme, but since so many of you all are rocket scientists....

I have Sennheiser wireless mics, whose ability to reject sounds other than the wearer is problematic....but I notice the wireless headset mics used in TED presentations are more in front of the mouth.

Anyone know who makes these mics used in TED presentations like here? Right at 1:17.....

If you already have the Sennheiser radio kit, Sennheiser make several headset mics:-
ME 3 - cheapo evolution
HSP 2 - pro quality with omni head
HSP 4 - pro quality with directional head

Next best is the DPA
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Those Sennheiser Pro sets are in the $500 range :( lol
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #10
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
If you already have the Sennheiser radio kit, Sennheiser make several headset mics:-
ME 3 - cheapo evolution
HSP 2 - pro quality with omni head
HSP 4 - pro quality with directional head

Next best is the DPA

Sennheiser HSP 2 example here in the above Vimeo video I shot. At around 6:15 we switch to the MKE-2 lavalier - matches pretty well.

I'm used to seeing a lot of DPA out there. I use the Countryman E6i myself. On the less expensive side, the Audio Technica AT892 is pretty decent. A new player in the market that I was shocked to hear is the Da Cappo. Very smooth and natural sounding.

Countryman also announced the E6S at last year's NAB. It doesn't hang down as far, so maybe you could use it on a cooking show and not eat it <grin>
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Block View Post
How are you guys having them disconnect? I've used Countryman mics for years without that ever happening. Are you using a clip on the back of the collar for strain relief? The only problem I've ever had was one speaker biting the capsule off an E6 - I still don't know how he managed that. For future reference, that's not covered by the warranty.
The few our company has have sadly lost the clips... We don't use them often, so I guess re-ordering clips wasn't a priority.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio