One man band, wireless system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

One man band, wireless system

I have a Z5u and need advice on which wireless system to use with it.
I know that it has been asked many times before but can you humor me this time with a response.

I'm looking to start my Video career by going into small weddings and documentaries as a one man one camera set up.

Sony recommends their UWPV6/4244 system. I'm looking for a wireless for about $1000 which would leave $300 for a hand held mic if I went with the Sony sysyem. Is this a quality system for the money? Or, is their a system that will be more better suited for my use.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Melvin
Melvin Baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't used the Sony system, but I have the Sennheiser G2 system, and it works really well. I think I paid $700 total for it, but I got the SKP-500 (instead of the 100, the only difference being phantom power on the 500) which pushed the price up. If you can find a G2 system in the A or B frequency range for less than the Sony, then I would heavily consider it.
I haven't used the new G3 system, but it is more expensive at B&H than the Sony system, so unless anyone has a good reason not to go with the UWPV6 and you can't find a G2 system, then the Sony seems like a fine choice.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There are many wireless systems out there that won't break the bank. While Sony has some good stuff, so does Sennheiser (G2 units) and Audio Technica. I've been using the AT1800 series receiver which is a dual channel receiver with 2 body paks and a plugin transmitter (seperate puchase). They offer a single channel receiver with 1 body pak for about $500, pick up a plugin transmitter for about $250 and a good handheld mic for about $100 to $150 and you've got a very basic wireless kit to start out with. You would want to change out the stock AT mic to the AT899 at the minimum, as the stock mic isn't very good to say the least at least not in my opinion.
Take a look at B&H for details and prices on the various units.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Audio Technica System Questions, Questions,..........

Mr. Bloom,

First, let me start by saying that I do not know about the workings of the audio or wireless systems.

The AT1800 series that you mentioned with the dual channel receiver and 2 body paks and a plugin transmitter. Is it a system that will record 2 lavs as well as a hand held mic all at the same time or is the hand held mic of no use while the body paks are in use?

Is the ENG Microphone which is included in the ATW-1821D Deluxe Kit a good microphone or should I still look for a better Microphone such as the SKP-500 (phantom powered) that Mr. Carlson mentioned?

What is the concern for the different frequency ranges?

Melvin Baggs
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Major Player

The SKP-500 is actually the Sennheiser equivalent of the Audio Technica 1802 plug-on transmitter.

The RE50B is the industry standard news interview microphone, definitely a good choice.

The ATW-1812 will let you use 2 transmitters at the same time, either both lavs, or a lav and the XLR plug-on.

As for frequencies, the 1800 series runs up to 680 MHz, so they are not restricted. 698 to 806 MHz are the restricted frequencies.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mr.??? Heh, the last time I was called that I was in court for jury duty lol! They call me Don, but thank you.

Anyway, back to wireless. The AT series 1800 dual channel receiver will handle 2 mics at one time. It can be any combination of handheld using a plugin transmitter (or 2 HH mics) or 2 lavs or one of each but you can only use 2 at any one time. I'll be honest and tell you I never looked at the mic included in that particular kit since I didn't buy a kit per say but got the transmitters (2 body paks& plugin and receiver with XLR cable as a "kit", since I already had the handheld mics I wanted, then I just got the Countryman EMW lav mics to take the place of the stock AT mics. My handhleds are the Shure SM63 and the Shure B58, although mostly I use the SM63. I'm sure the SKP500 is a fine mic and would work well for you.
As for the freq range I'm not sure I understand the question. IMO there are no concerns about the range. I haven't had any problem with crossover or interference with other units in the area. Perhaps you could express your concerns about the frequency range a bit clearer to me so I could address them.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Major Player

The only potential problem when dealing with frequency is the new FCC restrictions on the 700 MHz range (as stated, from 698 MHz to 806 MHz.) With the transition to digital TV broadcasting, the FCC has cleared that range and is planning on auctioning it off (maybe?) Most wireless mic manufacturers are doing an exchange or rebate program if you own a system in the newly restricted range. My Sennheiser system is in the 500 MHz range, so I'm safe, and the AT 1800 series is in the 600 MHz range, so it's also safe. You also can't buy new wireless mics in the 700 MHz range (at least from B&H, but I assume other retailers as well.)

I have used the RE50 mic that comes with that package, and it is a very durable microphone. I don't see a reason to replace it with anything, but if you do, I'll take it!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Since I never looked at the kit from AT/B&H I didn't realize that the mic was an RE50. Hell yeah, keep it, use it, you can pound nails with it and if anyone tries to rob you while you have it in your hand throw it at them hit them with it and they'll be out like a light.
While I really don't suggest any of that stuff what I'm saying is like Edward is saying, It's a great mic and solid as a rock. Great mic used worldwide for ENG applications among other things. :-)
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well, which one shall I get

Thanks Gents,

I've got some digesting to do, will get back with you on my choice.

Melvin
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
The SKP-500 is actually the Sennheiser equivalent of the Audio Technica 1802 plug-on transmitter.
The SKP 500 was discontinued many years ago - it was replaced by the SKP 500 G2 which had a wider switching bandwidth.

However this, also, has been discontinued (about a year ago) and has been replaced by the SKP 2000 - this has a very wide switching window of about 75MHz.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio