Zoom H4n and H4 - Sharing project files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Zoom H4n and H4 - Sharing project files

I own a Zoom H4 and am planning to do some long distance multi track recording with another person. The plan is to use two H4 units. I would record a reference track under a specific project on one H4 then ftp the project file to the person with the other H4. They would load that project file onto a (h4 formatted) SD Card directly from their PC. Then, the card would be loaded into the other H4. We would then both record (separately) onto the remaining tracks. All tracks, with the exception of the reference track from each H4, would be collected and placed in a time line in some audio editing package (i.e. Adobe Audition) for mixing. This way all the audio files will start at the same time and will be IN TIME. As long as we both beep the reference track and work from the same original project file that was originally created on H4 number-1

Will this work?

Also, I we get an H4n will we still be able to accomplish this even though the original project was created on an H4?

Thanks..
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're doing long takes, I would add a reference (say something, then clap) to the start and end of each recording. That way, if there is any drift between clocks, you can match things up properly.
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Jon,

That's a good idea. I appreciate it.

Thanks...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Just a thought off the top of my head, would there be less chance of compounding a sync error if instead of transfering the reference track as a file, you recorded it on one H4 and then played it back from that H4 via telephone and let the second H4 record it in real time.
In other words both H4's would be recording and playing back the reference track at its own clock speed but in real time.
You could still have sync drift of course, but you wouldn't run the risk that you'd double your error if both devices have a large timing difference (maybe).
I suppose under your original plan you could get lucky and have the two devices cancel each other's error out, but in any event you'll need to test this with the two specific H4's and see how the tracks actually compare when you bring them into your editing software. That will be the final test no matter what method you use.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio