Sennheiser ME2 or MKE2 Lapel mic - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #31
Major Player

The top video must be a spoof/joke!

The MKE 2.4 gold has two thin strands of stiff wire cable running alongside the audio cable to create strength and stop the head from coming loose. Although I have seen one come apart at the capsule end. The sanken COS 11 does not and that is why it's cable feels a lot more malleable.

Personally I find the stiffness of the MKE 2 series mic's (apart from MKE 2.5 Platinum which has a silky thin cable which is a different thing), to be prone to fighting back during delicate mic' placement. The cable wont twist the way I want and then memory locks and gets kinked when other people wrap them around the beltpacks.

Both mic's are great. Different aspects can be an advantage as it gives one a choice if you have access to both.

I've long recommended the upgrade to MKE2 from ME2. MKE2.4 gold is considerably better. Problem is now the radio kit is the week link and not the mic' anymore, and that costs even more to upgrade!
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #32
Trustee

Could I add a few words of advice gathered secondhand from our audio guru (ex-Granada TV) who advised that when fitting a plug (in our case a Lemo six pin) to an MKE2-4 (supplied plug-less) the length of the cable has an effect on the impedance and to avoid an shortening of the supplied cable. I don't want to start a war of the experts ('cos I know nothing!) but we took his advice and were careful.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #33
DVCreators.Net

This might help a bit. Here is a sample of the RODE NTG-3 shotgun, followed by the Sennheiser MKE2-EW Gold via Sennheiser Evolution G3 wireless recorded into a Tascam DR-100.

Old March 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #34
Major Player

I don't think Guy is using the MKE2-EW Gold. He doesn't mention it, only G3 wireless. And the lav sounds pretty bad, so I'm thinking it's the ME-2.

I could be wrong of course, but nothing in this video tells me otherwise.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #35
Major Player

Oops my bad. I didn't see that it was you Guy that put this up!
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #36
Major Player

I'd like to address a few things since I'm the guy in the first video on page 1. Especially since this thread has had close to 2,500 views!

My review was my first impressions of the mic. I stand by my words that selling a professional product without an instruction manual is B.S. Manufacturers should not assume we have access to the internet or assume we know how to use their products. Just like buggy, system crashing software shouldn't be released a PROFESSIONAL product shouldn't come without a guide. Using the internet as your company's crutch by forcing your customer to hunt it down and use his electric utilities/internet service is the cheap way out. Again, products from the dollar store come with instructions.

The Sennheiser's clip is unlike other mic makers' designs. It's actually smarter once you figure out how to do it. It's also more durable because it's not a thin piece of metal that could easily snap in two like a lot of designs (ahem, Sony). When I made the video review I didn't know how to use it. It also has a little slip to put your loop. If you loop the typical way (using the back part of the gator grip) it doesn't work as well due to the cable's stiffness. You need to use the loop holder.

I also didn't know what the heck the capsule extensions were for. After testing them and then finding the manual online (on a European Sennheiser site, LOL) I knew that I did a few other things wrong.

The positioning of the mic on my shirt wasn't the main problem. The problem was that I had the windscreen on. The ME2's windscreen isn't as effective as the MKE-2 Gold's. Hence, the MKE-2 sounds thinner by design. The Sanken COS-11 with windscreen on also sounds this way on a wire outdoors. By it's nature (no pun intended) outdoor audio sounds thinner due to lack of wall/ceiling reflections. I take back what I said due to these user errors. I may post a new review if I find the time.

When the MKE-2 is "naked" it sounds nice. You are only supposed to use the capsule extenders if you hide the mic underneath clothing. It isn't to be used as a spit/sweat protector like I thought. IF THE MIC HAD COME WITH A MANUAL I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS!!!

I am one of those guys who RTFM and enjoys getting to know every feature of my gear. When I buy an XBox 360 for $250 and it comes in a nice colorful glossy box with a colorful manual, etc. etc. (or name your product) and then buy a microphone that comes in a baggy like I bought crack off the streets from a dealer...that miffs me a little. At least print on the stapled cardboard piece that a manual is available online.

But I'm OK with the MKE2 now. But I still don't think the ME2 sounds that bad in comparison. A little boxy and lacking in "smoothness" but not bad for a kit mic. But it does feel like it'll break easily if I'm too rough with it.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio