DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need Help Buying a Mult Box (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/474009-need-help-buying-mult-box.html)

Steve Kalle March 2nd, 2010 10:01 PM

Need Help Buying a Mult Box

I have only used them a few times, and now I need to buy one. However, I am confused on what I need.

Active or Passive?

All the ones at B&H seem to have Line In only - this is what confuses me as I thought it would be Mic in.

Can someone help me figure out what I need to go from a microphone to a mult box?

And would this work - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351404-REG/Whirlwind_PRESSMITE_PRESSMITE_Active_Press.htmlIt appears to have a switch for Mic/Line - is this for switching the input between Mic and Line? If so, this should work with whatever equipment we have, correct?

Thanks

Richard Crowley March 2nd, 2010 11:11 PM

Are you looking for a press-feed box (with more than 2-3 outputs), or simply a mic splitter? How many outputs do you need? What is the application?

The ones with many outputs use line-level input because they can split the higher level to very many low-level outputs with good isolation.

Steve Kalle March 3rd, 2010 03:06 AM

Richard, we need at least 6 outputs (6 Chicago TV stations), but prefer at least 8, just in case. After reading some more, it appears the one I linked should work.

Brian P. Reynolds March 3rd, 2010 03:26 AM

Although you have 6 TV stations in your local area have you allowed for outputs for the radio stations? And for that matter local newspaper recorders?
Most press conferences that I've done most people prefer their own mics on the desk... more a case of getting the mic block logo in shot.
If you do go down the press box path make sure the outputs are transformer isolated or at least have an earth lift that could be activated in case of earth loops between cameras (if using a power supply).
If you install a sub-standard box people will give it ONE try and if there is a problem that effects on air product they will never connect into it again, wasting time, money and effort.

Rick Reineke March 3rd, 2010 06:31 PM

<Q>It appears to have a switch for Mic/Line - is this for switching the input between Mic and Line? If so, this should work with whatever equipment we have, correct?
In most instances, yes.. if you have pro gear.. an XLR mic or +4 dB line source. I doubt you could get enough clean gain from a -10dB source w/o a DI.

Steve Kalle March 3rd, 2010 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone.

Something happened so we will be having a press conference tomorrow, and I found a place that rents that Whirlwind Pressmite; so, we will know for sure if it works.

Chuck Fadely March 3rd, 2010 09:49 PM

OpAmpLabs.com - they're great. We got one to be able to participate in pool feeds. Never get a/c buzz from it like whirlwind and similar a/v company boxes that the sound companies set up at events.

Brian P. Reynolds March 24th, 2010 05:18 PM

I did a job yesterday ... a press conference, 8 cameras, 4 mics, (3 languages, 2 interpreters) what a bun fight technically.
Had a 16 ch mixer, pa set up, enough mics and cables .....And an 8 way splitter box with line level O/Ps.
What i found is that ONLY 2 used the splitter outs, the reason is that most of the crews used radio mics and didn't carry cables (but I said they could use some of my spares) but when questioned why they didnt want to use the splitter the comment was... they wanted to move about to get different shots from around the room. The only guy with a plug in transmitter didn't want to use that either as he didn't want to change the input level settings...
So all in all no mater what you supply, nearly every one had single mics in the desk, when I heard the news later that night (it was so bad !!!!) OH well ....never mind.