Rode NTG-2 or AT897???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode NTG-2 or AT897????

Looking for an inexpensive shotgun mic for some on-camera use (Sony EX-3), some boom use. Almost entirely run and gun documentary stuff. Some sit-down interviews, corporate stuff, etc.

These two seem to be the favorites. I don't really know crap about audio.

Is one better than the other? I see the Rode has a 10 yr. warranty (not sure about the AT), which I suppose is useful, though at this price I really only care about which performs better.

Which are you using and how do you like it?

B
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I plan on purchasing a Rode here soon. I use one of their NT1A condenser mics for general VO recording, and it's such a great mic.

I'd imagine the NTG2 should be just as above par on sound.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Talked to a couple pro sound guys and they had surprisingly good things to say about the Rode NTG-2, especially if it's going to be running off the camera as opposed to a mixer - which we sometimes will do - because the Rode pushes more watts or power or something or other over the AT and thus doesn't have to be cranked up as loud, yeilding less noise.

Found this (DVcreator Location Sound Package 1 at DVcreators.net) great package deal on DVcreator website and, amazingly, placed my order at about 5:45 last night and received shipping confirmation (they are in Arlington, WA) within minutes. According to UPS, the package is on the truck for delivery now (I'm in Miami.)

I don't usually shill, but I do when I get a good price and great customer service.

B
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Brett, that actually looks like a pretty awesome price/package. You have any knowledge if that K-tek dead cat is better than Rode's Deluxe one?
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Paul,

I don't have personal knowledge and didn't really look too far into into it. I kinda figure a dead cat is a dead cat - to some extent anyway - and I know the DVcreators guys test and use all the stuff they sell so I figure it's gotta be a good all-arounder. And with the package deal I save enough dough to by a blimp down the road if I feel like I want/need something more robust.

I'm guessing you could call them or email them and ask why they spec that particular one and get a response. There is a comments thread they seem to respond at the bottom of that page.

B
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a Rode NTG2 I use with my Sony V1U and I love it. I can't compare it with the AT897 as I don't own one of those but I think you would be very happy with the Rode. I also have a Rode Videomic I use with my little Canon HV20 and it is also great.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Major Player

NTG-2 is very nice. Have one and use several others from a friend. Like the option of the battery so I can use it with non-phantom powered devices like the Senn cube or a Zoom.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Take care if you install a battery .. then start powering the NTG-2 with 48V .. and forget about the battery.

Remove it first so it won't leak when it goes flat.

Cheers.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Trustee

It's a good idea to take the battery out as soon as you are finished each session. It goes flat pretty quickly (almost overnight?) There's a thread about this here somewhere.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Colin,

I haven't shared the experience of the batteries going flat overnight. I've left in a battery for several weeks and it was still going when I started again (mic not hooked up to anything). I wonder what we're seeing differently?
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Rode Boom-Pole Set - Aanbieding/Opruiming

I ordered this kit about half a year ago and used it several times in different situations. Nice kit for the price, the NTG-2 didn't dissapoint me at all.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
It's a good idea to take the battery out as soon as you are finished each session. It goes flat pretty quickly (almost overnight?) There's a thread about this here somewhere.
Colin no you don't have to take the battery out of an NTG-2 after each session, the mic definately will not flatten the battery overnight.

But don't leave it installed and forget about it.

Cheers.
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Take care if you install a battery .. then start powering the NTG-2 with 48V .. and forget about the battery.

Remove it first so it won't leak when it goes flat.

Cheers.
No problem leaving the battery in and using phantom power. The mic senses when 48v is being delivered, and bypasses the battery, and vice verce, when no 48v is being delivered it automatically uses battery power. I have had an Energizer Lithium AA battery in my NTG-2 for 10 months, just checked it on a meter, full power still available.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Colin, Rode have emails from people who've 1 not used a quality battery like you have and 2, forgot about it and left it installed till it did go flat and leaked all over.

That's not the fault of the mic and not covered by its warranty.

Cheers.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I have the AT897 and Rode NTG-3 and both get the job done. My preference is the Rode brand. Have several of their mics and not disappointed with any of them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio