DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   911! All audio didn't record? can be saved? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/474215-911-all-audio-didnt-record-can-saved.html)

Louis Maddalena March 5th, 2010 06:22 PM

911! All audio didn't record? can be saved?

I just shot a love story with a couple and did all the audio recording with a H4N and a wirless mic, we changed the mic over to the girl and then she starts talking ... the girl.. didn't record at all, and I can't for the life of me figure out why..

Do you think it did record and i can't find the rest of the file? any ideas how to get the rest of the file back? I'm not going to touch the card again until somebody has an idea how to get the file back.

Louis

Noa Put March 5th, 2010 06:37 PM

Did you pause the recording on the h4 when you changed the wireless mic?

Louis Maddalena March 5th, 2010 06:49 PM

No I didn't touch anything, I just moved the mic to the girl from the guy, and then obviously checked for levels on the h4n... I don't think anything happened to the wireless mic, because the file ends, its not just an absence of audio... its the end of the file.

Alex Donkle March 5th, 2010 07:16 PM

If auto-record got turned on, that would turn off the recording when the wireless transmitter was temporarily turned off.

Or with people moving around it someone may have just hit the stop button.

Always monitor your recorder's output while shooting for this reason (among others).

Louis Maddalena March 5th, 2010 08:23 PM

I always have somebody monitor my audio... this time I didn't have a budget to spend so I just had my friend watch it... he's not really a video guy so I guess its possible something happened to it.. I'm going to continue to edit the story with the on board camera mic and see what I can come up with and then if they like it then reshoot the girls part.

Steve House March 6th, 2010 06:17 AM

How about ADR on her dialog using the track recorded from the on-camera mic as a guide track?

Marco Leavitt March 6th, 2010 10:49 AM

This sure sounds like operator error. Your friend hit a wrong button. Maybe he thought he pushed record and really put it into pause? As you say, the file ends, so there's nothing to try and reclaim. It's ADR for you.

Louis Maddalena March 11th, 2010 01:00 AM

Thanks guys for the help.... I'd really hate to ADR it as it was an interview and they are not professional actors I doubt they'd get the right inflection down to make it look like it actually happened, but we can see what happens. I guess I might just redo it. Have to figure out how to break the news to the clients.

Evan Donn March 13th, 2010 12:22 PM

Did the batteries die when you were recording? I had that happen once, and the zoom apparently didn't actually write the audio data to the file when it shut down. The file was there, it just had no data in it. Tried a bunch of file recovery things but nothing was there.