Lav connector for XLR and wireless use - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #16
Inner Circle

To clarify the "not recommended" thing...

If you can go balanced, then go balanced. There are circuits that can convert +48V to +5V, and at the same time, convert a single-ended signal to balanced. Some are passive and others use balanced transistors. So it's not like dogs will walk on their hind legs if you have a single ended interface.

If we can stay balanced, then we gain 6dB of signal to noise, and we get RF rejection.

So maybe it's better to say that balanced is recommended than that unbalanced isn't. :)
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
* Sanken recommends a TA3 (mini XLR) connector wired for a balanced operation as the intermediate connection.
This is a bit puzzling.

According to Sanken web site diagrams, there is no popular wireless transmitter that uses TA3 *and* 3-wire method.

The following connector for AKG is TA3 with 2-wire method, and that's all I could find:

SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ For AKG ]

At the same time, COS' XLR wiring definitely uses 3-wire method.

So me thinks... unless I'm missing something... using TA3 as intermediate would not actually allow you to use that TA3 connector on AKG. You will have to have yet another TA3 to TA3 adapter. Which is not the most elegant thing, and then why does intermediate even have to be TA3 to begin with?

The only two 3-wire connections I could find on Sanken site are:

Sony
SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ For SONY ]

and

Zaxcom
SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ For ZAXCOM ]

So it would appear they would be the best candidates for the intermediate connector, with further respective female adapter to XLR male. ¿Si o No?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Alex, you're spot on. The TA3 connector is an intermediate only. All connections require an adapter of some sort.

It wasn't a big deal for me. None of our setups (XLR adapter, Shure, Sennheiser - potential Lectrosonics rental) use naked 3-wire setups. I bought all of the connectors that I would potentially need. But if you have the possibility of using a Sony or Zaxcom receiver, those would make a lot of sense.

In any case, it's nice to be able to adapt to different connections and transmitters without having to get out a wire cutter. :)
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #19
Trustee

OK, so I priced the options.

TA3 connector is $5. LEMO is $50. Which one should I use as intermediate connector? Especially since I don't have Zaxcom? Hmmm... I'm so confused!

;)

So seriously speaking, I went with TA3. Will probably wire it for AKG, but without connecting pin 1 to the shield. This may or may not work correctly with AKG transmitters (which, coincidentally, I don't have either) - but shouldl work fine as an intermediate to the XLR and Sennheiser locking 3.5mm.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio