Zoom H4n weakness... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM   #16
Trustee

My H4n works great but the battery life is hell. I can only do 2 recordings of about 1hr each and its gone. I use an external line feed (no phantom pwr) but still its pretty heavy on the batt. Do u guys have the small issue or its my set?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I replace the batts before every show. Cheap. But yeah, using the internal mics I get a couple or three hours, max.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #18
New Boot

Thanks for posting this. This informs my next purchase decision a great deal.
Steve Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #19
New Boot

Wasn't the H4n the heavy duty version? I thought they touted its ruggedness, but a mic snapped off when it landed in some towels?
Richard Hogben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #20
Trustee

The previous version of the Zoom has a cage over each mic.
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #21
Trustee

True about the old one and the cage. I dropped my H4 pretty badly and at least nothing actually broke off. It's extremely rare that I use the onboard mics. I don't even think I've tested them again since that drop so they could be broken but you can't tell it visually if they suffered any damage.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
The previous version of the Zoom has a cage over each mic.
Odd, it seems like a step back when most of the other features were improvements. I wonder why zoom made the decision to remove the cages.

The mics rotate right? but I would think they could still do that in a cage.
Richard Hogben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Yes, the mics do rotate, between a 90 degree pattern and a 120 degree pattern. I would rather have more protection over a slight variable in the stereo field of the onboards. I mostly use it with external mics anyway.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #24
Trustee

so far i do not use the internal mics much so they are pretty much still in one piece :p
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I was using an external mic when this happened...I was actually unplugging the mic cable and lost my grip on the Zoom sending it crashing down into...towels. Maybe I need to use more fabric softener?
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #26
Regular Crew

sorry for being a little off topic but what is the best way to mount one of these on a rail system? cage? I see a lot of hotshoe adapters and ball heads but not sue which one would do it in the most low profile but secure way. Thanks
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #27
Inner Circle

The H4n has a 1/4"x20 socket, the smaller tripod screw standard. Somehow, you need to connect up to that, it's the only physical connection point - a 1/4-to-hotshoe might be a good way, if you have a hotshoe on your rails/cage.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I 2nd the Tascan HD100.

Picked it up and feel comfortable of almost full operations within 5mins of it.
Plus it has side protection bars so if it's not a direct hit - the mics are fine.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chung View Post
sorry for being a little off topic but what is the best way to mount one of these on a rail system? cage? I see a lot of hotshoe adapters and ball heads but not sue which one would do it in the most low profile but secure way. Thanks
I slip it inside a LowePro Quick Release Tripod Mount which has two wide attachment straps on the back. Two-sided velcro is also on the back the Zoom to keep the Zoom tightly in place inside the LowePro tripod pocket. I use a Samcine shoulder & waist pro stabilzer and the Zoom fits on to the front of the Samcine inside the LowePro mount.

On another note; one quick question for those of you using external mics and wireless mics with the Zoom (I use the Zoom 4, but I think the 'n' version is the same in this respect):

I noticed by chance when testing various types of external mics connected to the Zoom in 4-track Mode, that the onboard mics don't completely turn off. Yes, they stop recording, but if you for example set the Zoom to 1&2 with an XLR cable into port 1, then gently blow directly on to the heads of the onboard mics they will pick up some of that blowing sound.

I was wondering that I've somehow left something on or off inside the Menu that isn't turning off the onboard mics completely.

I tend to use the lapel mics for distance work and require the onboard mics be completely "off" when recording. They are not supposed to record at all when an external mic is connected to the XLR ports, and indeed they seem to stop recording...but still partly pick up strong wind!

I haven't got a second H4/H4n with me to experiment with, so if anybody out there could do this simple test: Plug in a microphone via XLR cable to the Zoom's XLR port with it set in 4-track Mode and monitor via some headphones, and then blow hard directly onto the two onboard mics to see if they are still picking up any wind sound.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM   #30
Trustee

Is there anybody who can answer my simple question please in the above post? Is it impossible to completely turn off the onboard twin mics of H4/H4n recorders when external mics are connected via XLR? Yes, they are supposed to turn off automatically when an XLR lead is plugged in, but I'm still getting some pick-up from the onboard stereo mics, for example in strong wind.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio