Group Q&A ENG Style at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Group Q&A ENG Style

Have a situation coming up on a small 2-3 man ENG style corporate shoot.
Q&A situation:
1: Fixed podium for answers
2: a group of questioners across the room.
Any suggestions on how to best handle the audio? This is a low budget ENG style- audio to camera situation.
Thanks for any input
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Jay,
I do a fair share of this kind of stuff with 1 other person. 2 cameras and a small mixer that is run to both cameras. One mic, most often SM58 type back to mixer and then another one on a stand for the Q's. The attendees just have to make their way over to the mic. We try to cable it when we can but in many cases have to run wireless but both mics still go to the mixer.
The last one I did, I ran the 2 mics to the mixer, one side of the mixer out went to the house speakers (bad I know but that's what they paid for) and the other side I uses a splitter cable to run XLRs back to both cameras. Worked out just fine.

You CAN do it without the mixer but make sure more than one camera gets the audio feed so when it comes time to change tapes (if that's what your you're shooting to) you don't lose any audio. Splitter cables work fine for that purpose. 1 into 2 and since I have never used the on board mic at a seminar you can run 2 external inputs to each camera.

Hope that makes sense.
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, as Don mentioned is a good way for a staged Q&A but for a "Heated" debate you might need to go for a boom pole and short shotgun mic as the second mic.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there an in-house PA or AV company being used , Do a fair bit of this stuff myself and usually take 1 "mix feed from the PA (I use a dedicated Senn g3). Just make sure you have the right connector to take a feed from the desk

If not then yes you need a mixer , a podium mic and would suggest a radio hand held either fixed position as suggested or roving (just make sure they talk into it , the number of times you hand someone a hand held radio mic and they do everything but talk into it is the bane of my life)

Feed from the desk is by far the easiest route
John Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful and has got me at least thinking on the right track.
Don't know yet if there is an in house P.A. system...what is (are) typical connections on these systems?
Mic on a stand and have the questioners come to us!...brilliant! I shoulda thought of that,but just didn't "click" it when they first sprung this one on me. Hopefully this will eliminate having a boom pole roving.
Thanks again....really appreciate the help and comments!
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Trustee

But just as John said that people won't always speak into a mic that's in their hand, neither will they always come to a mic on a stand to make a comment.
You'll need a mixture of mics that can at least get useable sound no matter what happens because believe me, something you totally don't expect will happen.
Any mics that must be sensitive enough to catch something useable for a recording that's far off-mic despite your best intentions and instructions to the participants, shouldn't go to the PA or they would cause feedback.
In addition for any mics that go only to recorders but not to the PA, you must tell people that no sound will be heard in the room from that mic. Otherwise you'll get the "IS THIS THING ON???" syndrome.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio