DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Capturing from the mixer question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/475275-capturing-mixer-question.html)

Peter Manojlovic March 21st, 2010 12:32 PM

Capturing from the mixer question

I've got a fundraiser event coming up...
The budget for audio is pretty well my rental for a Sennheiser G2 wireless kit, and whatever the band can supply ror me. This event is more like a party, and besides interview with individuals, most of the audio recorded will be the sound coming from the stage..

Currently, i have an XHA1 camera.
I can use my Rode NTG2 on line 1, and can add the wireless kit to line 2.

Question,
A:
Since mixers have headphones out, would it be possible to hook up the Sennheiser transmitter directly to this plug, capture to line 2 on my camera, and still have my Rode catch ambient sound on line1?

or

B:
Should i put a drum mic in front of the speakers, and have the audio transmit wirelessly to the receiver at my end??

I'm looking to do this come wedding time also, so any advice would be helpful, since this would be a similair setup..

Thanx...

Shaun Roemich March 21st, 2010 03:29 PM

Headphone out will get messed up if the soundguy solos anything.

Mic in front of speakers will catch front of house mix which is TYPICALLY light on guitars (in a rock band setting) as most guitar players haven't learned to TURN DOWN yet and a lot of guitar sound comes from the stage amps (this as a 22 year "veteran" bass player who has been recording his own bands for years).

If this is a big band setting, only the amplified instruments coming through the PA will be picked up.

I try to get a Main Out house feed whenever possible and then install a medium diaphragm condensor mic close to the mix desk and mix the two in post, sometimes having to deal with phase issues.

Hope this helps.

PS. In order to get Main FOH out, you MAY need to show up with Y-cables - 1/4" TS/TRS or XLR in the correct gender (outputs aren't ALWAYS male when engineers give me a feed so I carry gender turn arounds with me). Oh, and don't be surprised if the engineer doesn't want to split his/her Mains feed either...

Shaun Roemich March 21st, 2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1503064)
B:
Should i put a drum mic in front of the speakers, and have the audio transmit wirelessly to the receiver at my end??

MOST drum mics are condensors which require phantom power so IF you go this way, make sure you are able to power the mic. MOST wireless transmitters don't accommodate REAL Phantom power.

Brian P. Reynolds March 21st, 2010 05:16 PM

You will need the "correct" input cable if you are using the Sennheiser G2 belt pack transmiter.
LINE level uses different connections than MIC level input cable..... its in the user manual

Rick Reineke March 21st, 2010 05:38 PM

Any output from the PA board would most likely be line-level. The G2/3 transmitter input is normally mic level. Therefore you will need a 30 to 50dB attenuator (pad) with the proper plug adapters, otherwise you will severely overdrive the body pack transmitter's input stage regardless of the 'sensitivity' gain setting.

- The G2 transmitter CAN take a nominal -10dB signal by wiring the the 'ring' connector "hot" (instead of the 'tip') on the G2's 3.5mm TRS input plug.