DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Does Sony V6 plug-in transmitter provide phantom power? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/475866-does-sony-v6-plug-transmitter-provide-phantom-power.html)

Wacharapong Chiowanich March 30th, 2010 02:49 AM

Does Sony V6 plug-in transmitter provide phantom power?

This wireless transmitter unit accepts both line/mic level input from XLR audio input devices but the specs I've found online are not clear if it needs mics/inputs that are self-powered or it also gives 48/12V phantom power to the plugged-in mic?

And what about a comparable system from Sennheiser, other brands?

Manuel Correa April 4th, 2010 12:13 PM

Pkug in Transmitter and Phantom power

Hello Wacharapong

The SONY Wireless system you are asking about, the V6, uses the UWP plug in transmitter which does not provide any kind of phantom power for microphones. The UWP will accept dynamic or self powered microphones which can be used with this unit.

Sony does manufacture the WRT8P and the DWTP01 plug in transmitter modules which do provide 48 volt phantom power for condenser microphones. The cost of the WRT8P is more then the entire V6 package and the DWTP01 is at least double that amount. As far as I'm aware of, neither unit comes bundled in a package such as the V6.

I believe the Audio-Technica ATW-1812 will supply 12 volt phantom power and is within the same price range as the UWP. Beyond this, the Letrosonics UH and HM units also provide phantom power, but again the cost is above that of the entire Sony V6 kit.

As for Sennheiser, the current Evolution G3 packages include the SKP100 plug in transmitter, which also does not provide phantom power. Only the Sennheiser 2000 series kits or specifically the SKP2000 plug in transmitter provides for 48 volt phantom power at this time.

The exception was the older Sennheiser G2 500 series models which used the SKP500G2 plug in transmitter. Although many people discounted the 500 series as a more expensive 100 series unit with only more banks and presets, there was a little more to it then that. The bodypack receivers had a headphone monitoring jack/circuit and the SKP500G2 unit provided 48 volt phantom power. This particular unit was discontinued shortly after the G3's were introduced. It was these features that got my attention but may have been missed by others.

Manuel

Wacharapong Chiowanich April 4th, 2010 09:02 PM

Thanks a lot Manuel.

Oh well, this rules out a few good mics. Looking at the alternatives, I think it may be best for me to get a self-powered shotgun mic to go with this Sony unit for cost considerations. The Sony UWP wireless system works well and reliably (from my experience) for not too much money. Maybe I'll get a Rode NTG-2 to go with it and which can be used on-camera on some occasions too.

Best