Rode VideoMic vs Senheisser MK300 for Football Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Rode VideoMic vs Senheisser MK300 for Football Video

I am purchasing a Sony VX 2100 and want to upgrade the onboard microphone for most general uses. I will be taking video from the sidelines of Pop Warner Football Games this fall and would like to know if either of these mics would improve the audio quality of the action on the field over what I would get using the Sony onboard mic. If not, what options do I have? Thanks.

Wayne
Wayne S. Collamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne S. Collamore
I am purchasing a Sony VX 2100 and want to upgrade the onboard microphone for most general uses. I will be taking video from the sidelines of Pop Warner Football Games this fall and would like to know if either of these mics would improve the audio quality of the action on the field over what I would get using the Sony onboard mic. If not, what options do I have? Thanks.

Wayne
While the VideoMic will undoubtedly be better sounding than the built in mic, there's not much ANY mic can do from the sidelines.

Stick a wireless on the field official closest to the action. Maybe one on one of the players. Remember to ask permission.

The NFL uses a combination of wireless mics and parabolic reflector mics for field audio under very careful control. Then there are the mics they ring the stadium with. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you

Thank you for the reply. I have been studying more shotgun mics and am expanding my possibilities to maybe the AT897. Thanks again.

Wayne
Wayne S. Collamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #4
Major Player

The AT897 won't improve over the Videomic for the reasons Ty has outlined. If you want to bring distant speakers closer and you don't want to use wireless mics, then you need to look into a parabolic reflector microphone.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #5
Mad Scientist

The Audio Technica AT4071a is GREAT for capturing audio from the sidelines. But that's what it's mainly good for -- way narrow pickup pattern and surprisingly good rejection to the rear. I have a 4071a that gets rented for sporting events and isolating people outdoors in noisy environments. It's pricey compared to the 897 so maybe you can find someone who rents theirs.
Kevin Triplett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:52 AM   #6
Major Player

The MKE300 is a surprisingly good mic for the money, especially if you can find one on eBay for a good price. I picked one up for $80. I use one on my Optura Xi. I actually used it for a short footbal doc and it worked well for picking up sideline dialogue and a fair job at getting on field sounds.

As kevin said, the AT4071a is an excellent mic for isolating people in crowds. We use one at work with our Beta cam for interviews and run and gun stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio