Road Trip on Discovery HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 13th, 2005, 02:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Road Trip on Discovery HD

Has anyone seen this series? I'm a fan of the show but am wondering how they are able to get usable sound in the moving convertable? In some scenes they are in one car talking to the camera car in the next lane. No real wind noise, and no (noticable) microphone anywhere on them Is it likely they are dubbing it as a voice over in the studio?
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Sato
Has anyone seen this series? I'm a fan of the show but am wondering how they are able to get usable sound in the moving convertable? In some scenes they are in one car talking to the camera car in the next lane. No real wind noise, and no (noticable) microphone anywhere on them Is it likely they are dubbing it as a voice over in the studio?
Radio mics or double system recording and little bitty lavs like the Countryman perhaps?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm sure I've never seen any type of mic on the hosts.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Major Player

they probably just use wireless lapel microphones. The good sound guys can hide mics really well. The mic would be out of the slipstream because of the winshield. It may be pinned under a shirt or jacket also.

I've even had to glue a mic to someone's head, under their hair with rubber cement.
Whatever works.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, they actors are really active, moving in and out of cars, getting into boats, bumper cars, hiking, riding horses and I am amazed at how they can address the camera with no visible mics or wind noise!
Colin Sato is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio