DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Post Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/47757-audio-post-software.html)

Steve House July 15th, 2005 10:41 AM

Audio Post Software

Looking for user input and experiences on the alternatives for audio software for post. Presently have access to both the Adobe suite (Audition with Premiere Pro) and Sony's (Vegas with SoundForge & Acid) to work with before making a final decision but looking for user feedback, comments, and comparisons with Nuendo or ProTools married to some other video NLE as well.

Don't anticipate any signifigant studio music recording but do want to be able to do general editing and sweetening of audio for DV, including dialog and music editing, quality location music recording, recording and editing of VO, ADR, foley, and FX. In other words, all around post-production recording, editing, and mixing tasks, primarily aimed at video / film-style video but also capable of quallity audio-only CD production.

Final output to be stereo tracks for DV or VHS tape, DVD in either stereo or surround, and music performance CDs. (Thinking here of scenarios such as shooting a recital and and being able to deliver both the video and a pro level audio CD of the performance to the client).

Nuendo and ProTools are both considerably more expensive than either Adobe or Sony - what do you get that's not in the other two, and is it worth the cost?

Rob Lohman July 17th, 2005 06:11 AM

Why not get some demos/trials of programs like Nuendo, ProTools and SoundForge?

Lot of these programs are a personal taste. ProTools is pretty much the industry
standard, of course.

I thought there was also a free version of ProTools (I checked, but couldn't
find it). I may be confused with Avid though.

Steve House July 17th, 2005 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Why not get some demos/trials of programs like Nuendo, ProTools and SoundForge?

Lot of these programs are a personal taste. ProTools is pretty much the industry
standard, of course.

I thought there was also a free version of ProTools (I checked, but couldn't
find it). I may be confused with Avid though.

Of course - have SoundForge already but I like to add other's experiences to the mix as I plaly with the evals.

Devin Eskew July 21st, 2005 02:08 PM

I am not an audio expert, repeat I am not an audio expert. That being said, I have used Sound Forge for the past three years, and I just love how well it interacts with Vegas. Fixing and sweetening is quick and easy, just open your file in SF from Vegas remove noise whatever then save changes and they automaticly update your Vegas timeline. A few of the guys here at the college love Audition and wonder why I use an audio editor i.e. Vegas to cut video anyway, however the audio guys only use Sound Forge, and Sonar for audio. As for Pro Tools, our token mac guy just bought the plugin to use PT in FC-Pro, I'll ask him what he thinks.

Brian Handler July 21st, 2005 02:36 PM

I use logic pro at school a lot, seems pretty powerful. I only use it to the extent that audition works for me so unless your doing pretty hardcore stuff I think logic would be overkill.