Audio Setup Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #1
Tourist

Audio Setup Help!

I am an outdoor hunting and fishing videographer and I currently I have a Sony HDR-FX1000 with a Sony ECM-CG1 Gun Microphone and I am looking to expand my audio capabilities with wireless microphones. Since I am limited to just the stereo mini input jack I was wondering what my options are for expanding my inputs for wireless microphones. I was looking into BeachTeks DXA-2T but I have no idea what else is out there or if the BeachTek is of any quality. Also, I could use some suggestions on quality wireless microphones with the ability to have at least two microphones. Thanks!

-Eric
Eric Lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Trustee

BeachTek is a well-regarded vendor and makes quality products.
In addition, there are these vendors of similar XLR adapters and preamps...
JuicedLink: Landing_Adapters (There is a display ad currently running on this page!)
Sign Video: XLR-PRO XLR adapter
Studio1: XLR Adapter - XLR Adapter to mini plug for video cameras XLR Audio Adapter

The general consensus for wireless mics is that the Sennheiser G3 series is the lowest-cost quality product. Anything less is a cheap, fiddly, unreliable plastic toy and a waste of money. Note that there are varieties that use a small, battery operated receiver, and others that use a larger, mains-powered box. The former are the kind intended for portable use on a camcorder.

There are also products that have TWO receivers built into the same small package and are ideal for use on a camcorder with two wireless mics.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Tourist

Richard, thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Sennheiser G3 last night but do I need two recievers to run two mics?
Eric Lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, you need a receiver channel for each mic so with the G3, two transmitter/receiver sets.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

As Steve stated, you absolutely do need two receiver channels for two transmitters. (You can use a single transmitter and two receivers on the same frequency channel, (Ex: a two camera shoot) but not the other way around.
Your other option is a two-channel system such as the 'affordable' Audio Technica 1800. In addition, that system has the option of 'mixing' the two channels within the dual-receiver pack. However if you have two camera audio channels, what's the point of mixing them together on location.. Another issue you may want to consider is a transmitter with a built-in limiter, such as some of the Lectros. A gun-shot will most likely clip the firearm shooter's transmitter which has been gain-staged for dialog.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; April 28th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The Audio-Technica 1800 system would be a very good choice. It features a dual receiver that not only picks up two independent channels but also operates as a diversity receiver that instantly switches over to the antenna getting a better signal. The result is dropout-free operation.

I've been using them for a few years now and they are the next best thing to a hardwired mic.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Dean:

I have the 1800 system as well as two of the older AT-100 systems. I have tried different combinations of lavaliere elements (stock one, Tram and AT-899), fresh batteries, changing frequencies, etc. and I still come to the conclusion that in comparison to the old AT-100s or the Lectros I sometimes rent, the 1800 system is quite noisy. Really noisy. I used them on a film I shot last year with five kids, had my 100s on two of them and my 1800s on two of them and a Lectro on one of them. The 1800s had a high level of operating hiss that I ended up having to noise reduce. Not something that the average viewer would hear but with headphones on, big difference.

I take it you have not experienced that? Have you used them on a quiet soundstage, I know you mostly shoot outdoors, right?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dan...

What kind of noise are you experiencing? Mine are pretty quiet. I haven't used it on a soundstage but I do some indoor recording with it, and the noise problem I had was air conditioning rumble.

At NAB Fred Ginsberg told me that the older models had some problems that were addressed in later revisions, so you might want to check with the Audio Technica people. Maybe send yours in for service with a note describing the problem and, if possible, a sample recording of the noise.

One of the two units I have exhibited a very low "clinking" sound immediately following vocal expressions. I sent it in, along with a sample recording, and the unit was replaced. That was the first one I'd bought.
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I have noticed a very slight and I mean very slight noise with my 1800 set but I have a simple preset on my NLE that eliminates it completely and with out harming anything else in the audio. Honestly I'm not going to worry about it and if I didn't fix it in post I doubt any of my wedding clients would notice it. Maybe one of my corporate guys but even that is iffy.
I can honestly say that the AT1800 dual is one of the best investments I ever made.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If there is even a chance that the subject will be getting wet, you may want to look at the Lectrosonics MM400c transmitter.
Bill Warshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio