DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NT3 OR M3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/477776-rode-nt3-m3.html)

Raul Rooma April 28th, 2010 11:11 AM

Rode NT3 OR M3

I searched quite a lot but don't understand still really main difference between these mic's

Rode NT3 vs M3,they seems to be quiet same.I'm looking mic for indoor recordings,also to use with senn plugon transmitter,Rode seems to offer quiet lot for he's price.But what is Your suggestion??

Regards

Raul

Alex Donkle April 28th, 2010 06:59 PM

Honestly, neither of those mics are too great, mostly because of weight. (when you've got a mic on the end of a boom, every gram counts and adds up quickly after you've been a boom op for a few hours)

What's your budget? And why are you looking to have a wireless boom? (cables always have a better signal plus are more reliable)

Andrew Smith April 29th, 2010 12:07 AM

Raul,

Head on over to RØDE University and you can learn all about mics.

Andrew

PS. I own both the NTG-3 and the M3 and love 'em both.

Steve House April 29th, 2010 03:02 AM

The Rode NT3 and the NTG-3 are two very different mics.

Michael Wisniewski April 29th, 2010 04:25 AM

I always like the sound of the NT3. It gives a nice rich & full sound, especially to voices. I attribute this to the larger diaphragm vs. the smaller diaphragm on the M3. They're nearly the same size, but I think you're getting more of a studio mic in the NT3.

I have an AT-4053 when I want a hyper mounted on a hand-held camera but I don't think the sound is as good as the NT3, again, I believe it has to do with the size of the diaphragm.

One other nice thing, the NT3 can run off phantom or battery, so it's flexible in many situations.

Jay Massengill April 29th, 2010 07:39 AM

The NT3 has much lower self-noise and slightly more sensitivity, although both mics are only moderately sensitive. The M3 I think is more intended for general instrument/music/singing recording tasks where self-noise isn't as big an issue as when recording quieter dialog from boom mic distances.
In the US, the street price difference between the two is significant. The NT3 for $269 and the M3 for $149.

Raul Rooma April 29th, 2010 01:04 PM

Rode nt3

Thnx for tips and suggestions! I guess with my budget ..rode nt3 the way to go!
Regards

Raul

Chad Johnson April 29th, 2010 06:03 PM

The NT3 is a better mic for sure. It's a true condenser, where the M3 is an eletret condenser. The NT3 is a bright mic. I have used it for years and liked it, but now I'm into my AT4053b. That goes for 500.00, and has a nice rich low end.

Here are some NT3 tests (but not the M3)

Song Recorded with one NT3

Battle Vaughan April 29th, 2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Donkle (Post 1520906)
Honestly, neither of those mics are too great, mostly because of weight. (when you've got a mic on the end of a boom, every gram counts and adds up quickly after you've been a boom op for a few hours)

What's your budget? And why are you looking to have a wireless boom? (cables always have a better signal plus are more reliable)

Well, actually, he never mentioned a boom...and fwiw I think you'd like the NTG3.....my two cents /B. Vaughan