DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   The perils of radiomics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/477780-perils-radiomics.html)

Colin McDonald April 28th, 2010 12:15 PM

The perils of radiomics

I'm actually quite sorry for British Prime Minister Gordon Brown who was caught out today in the classic radiomic gotcha - he forgot he was wearing it. He also forgot what merciless b******s the media are.

BBC News - Gordon Brown 'mortified' by his 'bigoted woman' slur

What radiomic system were they using? I think we should be told. I want one!!

Paul R Johnson April 28th, 2010 12:38 PM

The thing was, why was he driving off with the BBC's mic still attached - was he stealing it? I bet he won't agree to having one pinned on again. Probably sounded like a good idea when he thought it would let the BBC get better quality audio of his mumbles. I wonder when they got the pack back?

Andy Wilkinson April 28th, 2010 01:24 PM

This reminds me of a corporate shoot last year when the manager I was interviewing went off to the loo...(that's the restroom to you lot over the pond) with my Senny G2 still attached...yep, you've guessed it, still live. When I heard the cubicle door closed and realised it was going to be a "No 2" I decided to take my cans off....

It was funny watching the media squabble as to whose radiomic it was on Brown (I think Sky News claimed claimed ownership, not the BBC) but no matter. If the camera never lies.... what do radiomics do? Well this shows they sure can screw things up big time for the unwary!

Richard Gooderick April 28th, 2010 01:39 PM

Apparently it was his lot that insisted on a radio mic instead of a boom.
I also understand that BBC, ITN and Sky all share the same feed from the one mic.

Rick Reineke April 28th, 2010 02:16 PM

I'll 'usually' remind folks about the first Leslie Nielsen "Naked Gun" movie if they decide to go walkabout when an audience & PA system is involved. It's good for a laugh and the point is remembered.

Brian Drysdale April 28th, 2010 02:37 PM

There are quite a few top politicians and radio mics stories, most are usually amusing, like the loo story. Indeed, this seems to be the most common, although one realised he was still connected and a hand was seen handing back the radio mic through the loo door.

Jim Andrada April 28th, 2010 06:40 PM

Well, I never had this problem when recording but I have had it as the speaker with the mic attached.

I was presenting to a few hundred sales reps and customers in Australia many years back and made a short stop before my turn on stage. Of course, I was already miced and...

Got a great round of applause when I got back and walked on stage. At least I had their undivided attention for a few minutes.

Andrew Smith April 29th, 2010 12:04 AM

Must have been the relief aspect that they could really identify with. LOL! I can only imagine how you might have recovered from that one!

Andrew

Liam Hall April 29th, 2010 01:31 AM

Having worked at the sharp end of the last General Election I can assure you all that what he said was nothing compared to many things I heard on a daily basis.

Indeed, I must admit I felt a little sorry for Gordon Brown, but he only has himself to blame; the media were there because he brought them, he was wearing a radio mic because he wanted one.

It could have been worse; if he did what Sue Lawley famously did whilst wearing a radio mic - he would have had to resign immediately!

Allan Black April 29th, 2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1520897)
Well, I never had this problem when recording but I have had it as the speaker with the mic attached.

I was presenting to a few hundred sales reps and customers in Australia many years back and made a short stop before my turn on stage. Of course, I was already miced and...

Got a great round of applause when I got back and walked on stage. At least I had their undivided attention for a few minutes.

A few minutes!! they still talk about you here Jim .. we all contributed to the brass plaque that's nailed to the door. There's tours, souvenirs and everything.

Sorry Col .. just surprised Jim hasn't heard about it.

Cheers.

Andrew Smith April 29th, 2010 03:50 AM

Liam,

A quick Wiki-research on Sue Lawley reveals nothing regarding the microphone incident. Care to spill the beans?

Andrew

Liam Hall April 29th, 2010 04:07 AM

Not on a public internet forum!

I'll send you an email:)

Andrew Smith April 29th, 2010 04:09 AM

That good, eh?

Andrew

Brian Drysdale April 29th, 2010 06:19 AM

Quite a few inside the industry stories. I know someone who went into an unmanned TV studio (it uses a locked off camera) to have an "exchange" and noticing the TV camera draped his coat over the lens and continued. Indeed, engineering had been watching...