The perils of radiomics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Trustee

The perils of radiomics

I'm actually quite sorry for British Prime Minister Gordon Brown who was caught out today in the classic radiomic gotcha - he forgot he was wearing it. He also forgot what merciless b******s the media are.

BBC News - Gordon Brown 'mortified' by his 'bigoted woman' slur

What radiomic system were they using? I think we should be told. I want one!!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The thing was, why was he driving off with the BBC's mic still attached - was he stealing it? I bet he won't agree to having one pinned on again. Probably sounded like a good idea when he thought it would let the BBC get better quality audio of his mumbles. I wonder when they got the pack back?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

This reminds me of a corporate shoot last year when the manager I was interviewing went off to the loo...(that's the restroom to you lot over the pond) with my Senny G2 still attached...yep, you've guessed it, still live. When I heard the cubicle door closed and realised it was going to be a "No 2" I decided to take my cans off....

It was funny watching the media squabble as to whose radiomic it was on Brown (I think Sky News claimed claimed ownership, not the BBC) but no matter. If the camera never lies.... what do radiomics do? Well this shows they sure can screw things up big time for the unwary!
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Apparently it was his lot that insisted on a radio mic instead of a boom.
I also understand that BBC, ITN and Sky all share the same feed from the one mic.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'll 'usually' remind folks about the first Leslie Nielsen "Naked Gun" movie if they decide to go walkabout when an audience & PA system is involved. It's good for a laugh and the point is remembered.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are quite a few top politicians and radio mics stories, most are usually amusing, like the loo story. Indeed, this seems to be the most common, although one realised he was still connected and a hand was seen handing back the radio mic through the loo door.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, I never had this problem when recording but I have had it as the speaker with the mic attached.

I was presenting to a few hundred sales reps and customers in Australia many years back and made a short stop before my turn on stage. Of course, I was already miced and...

Got a great round of applause when I got back and walked on stage. At least I had their undivided attention for a few minutes.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

Must have been the relief aspect that they could really identify with. LOL! I can only imagine how you might have recovered from that one!

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Having worked at the sharp end of the last General Election I can assure you all that what he said was nothing compared to many things I heard on a daily basis.

Indeed, I must admit I felt a little sorry for Gordon Brown, but he only has himself to blame; the media were there because he brought them, he was wearing a radio mic because he wanted one.

It could have been worse; if he did what Sue Lawley famously did whilst wearing a radio mic - he would have had to resign immediately!
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Well, I never had this problem when recording but I have had it as the speaker with the mic attached.

I was presenting to a few hundred sales reps and customers in Australia many years back and made a short stop before my turn on stage. Of course, I was already miced and...

Got a great round of applause when I got back and walked on stage. At least I had their undivided attention for a few minutes.
A few minutes!! they still talk about you here Jim .. we all contributed to the brass plaque that's nailed to the door. There's tours, souvenirs and everything.

Sorry Col .. just surprised Jim hasn't heard about it.

Cheers.
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #11

Liam,

A quick Wiki-research on Sue Lawley reveals nothing regarding the microphone incident. Care to spill the beans?

Andrew
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Not on a public internet forum!

I'll send you an email:)
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #13

That good, eh?

Andrew
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quite a few inside the industry stories. I know someone who went into an unmanned TV studio (it uses a locked off camera) to have an "exchange" and noticing the TV camera draped his coat over the lens and continued. Indeed, engineering had been watching...
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio