DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Definitely not a sound tec.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/477883-definitely-not-sound-tec.html)

Nick Popa April 30th, 2010 07:47 AM

Definitely not a sound tec....

Hey Guys,
I just had a quick question, and probably a simple one. I just purchased the Sony NX5U camera and it comes with the ECM-XM1 Microphone which is Sony's shotgun xlr mic. I already have the Rode NTG-2 and I was just wondering if there was really ever a time to use the sony microphone over the Rode microphone? I assume that the rode wins out all together, but just thought I'd post here to find out. Any specs I could find for them are listed below. Thanks! -Nick

NTG-2:
Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz selectable HPF @ 80Hz/12dB octave
Dynamic Range (Typical): 121dB (per IEC651, IEC268-15)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 76dB (1kHz rel, 1Pa; per IEC651, IEC268-15)
Maximum Input Sound Level: 139dB SPL (@ 1% THD into 1k ohm)
Power Requirements: +48V phantom, 44V to 52V
Output Impedance: 50 ohms
Output Connectors: 3-pin XLR balanced
Pad: no
Low Frequency Roll-Off: No
Dimensions: 10.94 x .87" (278 x 022mm) (Length x Diameter)

ECM-XM1:
Sensitivity (at 1KHz): -30 dB±3.5 dB
Signal-to-noise ratio: 78 dB, typical
Frequency Response: 50~20,000 Hz
Maximum input sound pressure level: 127 dB SPL, typical
Dynamic Range: 111 dB, typical

Richard Crowley April 30th, 2010 08:48 AM

If you have the time, it might be instructive if you could produce a 3~5 minute demonstration video using the two mics side-by-side to you (and everyone else) can compare their performance. If you are interested, I'm sure the people here can come up with a list of good "test cases".

OTOH, I've been recording audio for ~45 years and I'm with you. My immediate assumption is that the Rode mic is probably significantly better than the Sony that came with the camera. If I had to make a snap decision about which one to put in my back-pack, it would be the Rode.

Note that the written specs are not very often useful in making differential analysis of different pieces of equipment.

Allan Black April 30th, 2010 08:09 PM

I agree with the NTG-2 sounding better.

The only trouble might be its length when mounted on your NX5U, it might overhang the front and be seen in frame on a wide shot .. check that.
Cheers.

Nick Popa May 8th, 2010 11:48 PM

As a follow up, The NX5U's microphone is just not sufficient for good quality audio. The ntg2 is at least twice as good, if not more. Using the NTG's shock mount with the camera shoe on the bottom, I pick up zero camera noise what so ever (unless I do an insanely quick zoom!)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Greg Bellotte May 10th, 2010 12:41 PM

haha, in my circle we joke about how the only thing the sony cam mics are good for is for use as a chew toy for young puppies. :-) but to each his own, if it's what you have to use...

Tom Van den Berghe December 8th, 2013 11:41 AM

Re: Definitely not a sound tec....

I recorded some live concerts with the sony Mic and the NEX-EA50. the basses are still good recorded.

I know when I used the rode NTG2 on my JVC camcorder the basses were still to loud even the audio meter was green. On my JVC the rode was XLR to minijack. Maybe the problem is the JVC camcorder that can't loud basses?