Outdoor Long shotgun Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Tourist

Outdoor Long shotgun Mics

Hi All,

I am about to buy me an MKH 416 and I am also considering another mic for outdoor shooting, I mainly require a mic with a substantial rejection on the sides for subduing the ambiance.
After a lot of reviews and thankful tips on this site I was still not able to finalize my decision especially in comparison to the Shure sm89.

I have a k6 Sennheiser power adapter with an ME66 mic, in addition to the MKH 416 and my choice for outdoor microphones are the following:

ME67 Sennheiser costing me 300$ on B&H ( especially since I already have its power supply)

Shure SM89 ( which I haven't been successful finding any reviews) costing me 600$

I will also require a blimp for any of both.

As you noticed I am going for the cheaper versions of such mics, I would love a sanken, an MKH 70 or a Schoeps ( especially the new super CMIT digital mic ; wow), but Until my business in Interviews, ENG, and Drama's location recording evolves to be more lucrative , That would be my next step and my next post.

Regards to all
Ramzi Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM   #2
DVCreators.Net

If you're mostly shooting outside, do you already have wind protection?
How far away are your subjects?
Do you have a good pre-amp/mixer or straight into camera?

Even though Sennheiser just dropped the price of the MKH-416 to $999, another option that you might want to consider in that same price range is the RODE NTG-3 at $699.

Just for kicks, here is a video we produced showing the value of wind protection with an MKH-416. So, if you haven't considered a blimp system, you might want to research those from Rycote, RODE, Sennheiser and K-Tek etc...and if you want to see a really long shotgun http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...e9b/index.html

Old May 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Tourist

Guy, Thanks for the reply, by the way your videos are A Amazing. I am referring them for tutoring reasons, nothing be more simplified than your testings.

The reason I am choosing the MKH 416, is that it is an industry standard and a lot of customers would judge your gear or would ask that you have this mic. I don't have the choice to substitute it with the Rode NTG-3.

The mixer I will be using is the Sound devices 552, I need the two channel recording, the Time code reader, and the five channels is a great option for any purpose. ( if the new Fostex FM-4 had a recorder I would have preferred to go for that ... sighss...), On the Side I might even use the Zoom for any 4 track recording requirements ( connected through the direct outs on two ins).

Concerning my uses, they will vary from Real TV-, Docs, and maybe even film. and producers here think that mics make miracles so I want a mic that can cover worst case scenarios, in terms of distance, and ambient noise rejection.

I don't have any experience in Audio Technica and I might consider based on your suggestions so I will rearrange my questions:

Which outdoor long shotgun do you suggest?

Sennheiser K67 ( 300$ cause I have the K6 power supply)
Shure SM 89 ( i would appreciate any reviews on this mic ) for 600$
Audi-Technica line of mics suggestions?

Sorry if my choices are budgeted but referring to my previous post, I will upgrade if my business is lucrative.

Concerning the Blimp, I would definitely consider one, not only out of wind protection but out of Mic protection ( i am pretty fussy about my equipment). Most probably I will need one that fits to both the MKH416 and the outdoor shotgun in question.

Guy, your videos do actually do their Kicks, thanks
Ramzi Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi, Ramzi.........................

Well, what can I say?

I shoot with a ME64, 66 & 67.

Are they the best on the planet?

Doubt it, but haven't had any complaints about sound so far. They're basically an ENG industry workhorse, nothing more, nothing less.

Do they do the job?

Ooh, most certainly.

Would I upgrade if I had the chance?

Nope, bang for buck I can't beat them and anything over this is seriously suffering from the law of diminishing returns.

Are they robust?

Oh yeah.

What else have they got going for them?

Because I have K6 modules for all of them, the loss of a module is no immediate issue (and I haven't lost one yet). Plus, just about every TV station in the known Universe has ME66 & 67's lying around, so in an emergency.................(and if they're good enough for them...............).

At the end of the day, it's your call.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Even the Sennheiser 815/816 leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. I was never fond of any long shotgun.
OT and FWIW, Long Shotgun: A client used to have an old nickel colored Sennheiser. That sucker was about 30 inches long and was HEAVY. I never used it, but it must have dated back to the 60's and could have been used on the Ed Sullivan show, since the client was once an associate producer with CBS and worked on that show toward the end of it's run.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Even the Sennheiser 815/816 leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. I was never fond of any long shotgun.
OT and FWIW, Long Shotgun: A client used to have an old nickel colored Sennheiser. That sucker was about 30 inches long and was HEAVY. I never used it, but it must have dated back to the 60's and could have been used on the Ed Sullivan show, since the client was once an associate producer with CBS and worked on that show toward the end of it's run.
The 815 was discontinued about 35 years ago and the 816 was discontinued about 15 years ago.

Yes - these were quite heavy and were very directional (I have a pair of the 816F) - the most popular use was locked off for sports use - cricket, golf, etc.

The new MKH 70 (introduced in 1986/7) had a slightly broader pick-up (so it was easier to hold) and was half the weight and much easier to pole.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzi Mady View Post
I don't have any experience in Audio Technica and I might consider based on your suggestions so I will rearrange my questions:

Which outdoor long shotgun do you suggest?

Sennheiser K67 ( 300$ cause I have the K6 power supply)
Shure SM 89 ( i would appreciate any reviews on this mic ) for 600$
Audi-Technica line of mics suggestions?

Sorry if my choices are budgeted but referring to my previous post, I will upgrade if my business is lucrative.

Concerning the Blimp, I would definitely consider one, not only out of wind protection but out of Mic protection ( i am pretty fussy about my equipment). Most probably I will need one that fits to both the MKH416 and the outdoor shotgun in question.

Guy, your videos do actually do their Kicks, thanks
For the money, the ME series from Sennheiser is no doubt going to do a good job and there is the law of diminishing returns. Some demand "good" sound, some demand "great" sound. It depends on the client and if they are willing to make 3-7 times the investment for 30% better sound. If it's a really wide shot, you may just be better off with a lav. It might be that those monster shotgun mics from the 60's were used before we had the option of a high quality wireless lav. You'll lose the perspective of a shotgun though with a lav. Maybe do both?

I haven't released this video <updated: released>, but I think that you might want to watch it
Be aware...you might fall in love with the Sanken CS-3e. The sound in the video of the AT875r is more of what you could expect from an ME66/67. Thin, and the lows will be omni.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
Be aware...you might fall in love with the Sanken CS-3e. The sound in the video of the AT875r is more of what you could expect from an ME66/67. Thin, and the lows will be omni.
Thanks for the video Guy. It really emphasized what I already know, my little ME66 is an adequate mic for situations where I'm not going to worry too much about it getting pummled by the elements, but the CS-3e is in a totally different universe. I've been looking for a used one for awhile since a new one is still out of my price range. I've had the pleasure to use it on a couple of shoots and one thing the post sound guys say is that the sound from the CS-3e makes their lives easier.

-Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Inner Circle

If you are on a budget, The AT 897 is quite a surprise. Look up some of the reviews on it.

I'd love to own the sanken!!! Would be afraid to use it in the weather!!!

dale

guy, thanks for that video!!! great presentation!!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Major Player

I can vouch for the AT4053b. A lovely mid-level hyper mic.

I'm really surprised at how little I could hear the fans with the last 3 mics! Of course they are useless for most video work.
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Guy,
Nice example of wind protection. Thanks for sharing. Didn't knew that the MKH 416 price will drop by 200 usd just after I buy. :-(

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Didn't knew that the MKH 416 price will drop by 200 usd just after I buy. :-(
I thought the price had dropped already - so you should get the new price now.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks to Guy, that Sanken CS-3e you see in the video is now in my kit. It has replaced my Sennheiser ME66 as my primary mic on location.

Guy and the DVeStore was great to work with in getting this incredible mic. Hopefully I'll be able to do some direct tests soon.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio