DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Impossible to see numbers on Lectrosonics channel selector (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/478018-impossible-see-numbers-lectrosonics-channel-selector.html)

Vito DeFilippo May 2nd, 2010 07:07 PM

Impossible to see numbers on Lectrosonics channel selector

Hey all,

I've been messing with a Lectrosonics wireless MM400C transmitter and UCR401 receiver in prep for a shoot this week. Amazing little machines. Sound great, very versatile, tough, etc, etc. I can see why they're viewed as top of the line stuff.

My only gripe is changing the frequency on the transmitter. You have to stick a screwdriver in a hole, which then is practically in the dark, and turn little wheels with the smallest numbers and letters on them I've ever seen in my life. I'm not farsighted yet, but I can barely make them out in good light with no screwdriver.

Is there a trick for doing this? Do you guys use magnifying glasses or something? I can just imagine getting interference from something and have to spend 20 minutes trying to see the darn numbers so I can match the freq chosen on the receiver.

I have a Telex unit that has similar wheels, and I always thought the numbers were small on that, but oh, boy...

How do you guys (and gals) handle it?

Daniel Epstein May 2nd, 2010 08:23 PM

I bought extra strong reading glasses to read the numbers on my Lectrosonics 400 transmitters.

Dan Brockett May 2nd, 2010 08:29 PM

Some call them "cheaters", I can't adjust anything on my wireless mics or camera without them. And I even wear contact lenses that are dual optical (bifocal) supposedly? Still need the reading glasses, you are definitely not alone in this.

Dan

Daniel Epstein May 2nd, 2010 08:44 PM

Just to add I actually took the transmitter to the store and checked out how strong the glasses needed to be for me to feel comfortable reading the numbers. The store display had a testing scale which said I needed a +1 lens for reading but to read the transmitter I needed a +2. The numbers and letters are very small.

Warren Kawamoto May 3rd, 2010 12:17 AM

I have 2 tricks.
I know my channels are matched now, but if I need to change, I count how many clicks to the right or left I move on the receiver, then count the same amount of clicks on the transmitter.

Another trick is to first reset your receiver to a clear channel, then watch the input audio meter/graph/led (depending on your receiver model), adjust the transmitter and stop when you see the meter peak while applying a signal. (I "oohh" into the mic.) The audio meter on your receiver will light up only on the correct channel.

I've been able to change channels in the dark this way.

Vito DeFilippo May 3rd, 2010 06:13 AM

So do you find that in practice, you don't need to change change channels much? Maybe that's why they are not designed to be more easily adjusted.

This particular transmitter doesn't have very defined clicks, more like a soft resistance between numbers.

Dan Brockett May 3rd, 2010 08:08 AM

I have to change the channel every time I travel. You don't go to the website to get check clear frequencies per city? What works in NYC won't work in Tampa.

Dan

Vito DeFilippo May 3rd, 2010 08:30 AM

You mean the TV station lookup? It hasn't been an issue for me because I rarely travel to shoot.

The receiver has a great frequency scan function as well that makes it easy to find clear channels. I just wish it were easier to then set the transmitter to the chosen one.

Though maybe I'm not understanding your point clearly.

Dan Brockett May 4th, 2010 09:35 AM

No, that's it. I only rent Lectros when we have good budgets. I own four Audio Technicas, two of the AT-100s and two of the 1800s. You have to manually change the channels on the ATs so I have to look them up before traveling. I wish I had the budget to buy the Lectros but I don't. Love when I am able to use them though, yes, the scanning is a much nicer way to determine what is open.

Dan

Vito DeFilippo May 4th, 2010 09:38 AM

Thanks, everyone. I grabbed a small flashlight and was able to see in the little holes much better in my prep last night. Practised feeling the little clicks as well. Should be fine for the shoot tomorrow. And I have a backup unit just in case.

Cheers!

Bill Warshaw May 4th, 2010 05:21 PM

I purchased a cheap magnifying glass with a builtin LED lamp from Microcenter. I think it was less than $10. I keep this in my kit at all times now!