Question about 702T and MP3 for transcription at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about 702T and MP3 for transcription

Hi all,

I've got a quick question about using the 702T for transcription sound with a VariCam on an upcoming shoot. Basically we're shooting interviews and I've been asked to produce a file with timecode that the transcription agency can use. I understand the 702T is perfectly happy to record a BWF with timecode, but since I'll be uploading via FTP I thought MP3 would be smarter. BUT the 702T doesn't (as far as I know) allow direct recording to MP3 with timecode, correct? So I'd have to record BWF and convert to MP3 later. This sounds simple enough, and I've seen multiple online references to Sound Devices "Wave Agent" software being able to do this, but when I start the program (v1.10) on my Mac I can't find any mention of MP3 conversion capability. Am I missing something? Would love to hear from someone who's been through this before. Many thanks,

K
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

OK I'm being told that the 702T is capable of directly recording to MP3 with timecode (as long as it has the latest firmware). Can anyone confirm this? Thanks again,

K
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You should check the firmware release notes on the Sound Devices. The 2.48 firmware is the last known bug fix for timecode stamped to the mp3 file. So I would assume you would at least need that firmware.

You should also check if the transcription house can even use the the stamped file. Some require a timecode audio track to do their transcription.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the message. I'm renting the 702T so I'll ask the rental house about the firmware version. The production is using Transcript Associates who have told me they can use MP3's with the timecode in the ID3 tags.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio