Sony UWP-V1 setting help (PLEASE) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony UWP-V1 setting help (PLEASE)

Hey, just recieved my Sony wireless mics and have tried to read their very confusing manual to try to configure these mics to produce the best possible audio and am not having much luck. I have them hooked up to a Sony z5u but am not sure of quite of a few things, like in camera and on the mics.
I have the wireless plugged into XlR 2, and the shotgun in XLR 1
1. Have XLR AGC Link on Seperate
2. AU. Man Gain on Seperate
3. Input2 MIC NR off
4. Input2 Trim(?) Off
5. INPUT2 Wind off

Now let me inform you I am an outdoor videographer, most of my video will b shot in a field of some sort, timber, tree stands, blinds and around some buildings. I have monitered my audio and it doesnt seem to bad, but when I bring it into my laptop it seems weak! Volume on my earphones maybe a litle to loud?

Now the Wireless...
I have all of the setting left as they came out of the box, again like I stated the manual is not real helpful.
I am not quite sure what frequency to use and what transmision channel to use. I let the att on the transitter set to 0. I have googled this and came up empty. If any one understands my babble and maybe could lend a hand on some settings it would be appreciated.
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No opinions????
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

At the risk of over simplifying things.....you want a freq that has no interference. If the receiver is picking up the transmitter then all is good.
NOW.....as soon as you pump it into your camera you now have to ask someone that knows about that camera and it's settings. Might be no one here has any experience with that cam. If you have signal getting to the cam then I'd put down the wireless manual and pick up the camera manual......

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff...............

A link to the wireless systems would be usefull, also, what mic are you using?

To the chase: you're obviously getting audio into the camera from the wireless system, but the main ailment seems to be strength, if I read you correctly?

What are the VU meters on the display (are there VU meters on that cameras display?) telling you?

If they're not consistantly hitting -8 to -5 db with the occasional sorty into the red zone, of course, it's going to be weak.

You either need to turn up the gain knobs on the camera (does it have........................?) or up the output from the wireless receiver (can you...........?), whichever comes first.

Knowing squat about any of the elements in this food chain I can't get any more in depth than that.

Of course, if the mic is 20 feet from the subject, you're on a hiding to nothing, as no mic ever made can get that unaided.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

CHris, thanks for the response, as put in the title (and should have put in the body) I am using the Sony UWP-V1 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553681-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_3032_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html set. I am getting clear audio into the camera, and with loud noise I am spiking a little into the red, I have the ATT on 3 (on the transmitter?) to tone things down a little. I just thought that there was a certain frequency or channel (not sure between the both) that I had to use. I pulled up the chart on the DVD and the freq or channel it is set to is listed as avaible. Where I am using my camera is in the timber far away from other wireless systems so I don't think it will be an issue. i just wanted to get to know my equipment better. I will go to the Z5U forum and see if anyone has any recommendations on camera settings. Thanks again,
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Frequency interference is normally indicated by clicks, buzzing, hissing, ect, ect., so I do not think that is the issue, nor would I think the record amplitude level is the issue... as you stated, "with loud noise I am spiking a little into the red" which IS slightly low, but usable. (assuming the meter's 'red' starts @ -12dBFS)
The question is, as Chris eluded to: What is the distance from the sound source to the mic? And what is the sound source?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Rick, i havent tested the mic past 40 yrds yet. I will take it out today and play around with it and see what i get, Most of the time I will be within feet of the transmitter, others a hundred yards or so...
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You should get at least 300 feet (line of sight) with that system. Properly gain staged and with a clear frequency of course. I do not have that wireless system but recall it has a frequency scan function. If so, use it.
Can post a link to a PDF owner's manual and elaborate on your performance issues?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have had a chance to hook it up today and really figure it out. The only concern I have found is that my voice spikes really easily. I have a naturally loud voice and even at 200 yards it really jumps up into the red. I turned the ATT to 3 then 6 then 9 and really couldn't tell a difference, the only real way we could control it was to manually control the volume and constantly adjust it. We are getting a clear signal with good distance, I just need to be aware of how loud I am talking and the operator really needs to pay attention to the camera.
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Providing the RF connection is good, the distance between the transmitter and receiver has very little to do with audio level, and would sound the same at 3' or 300'
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio