DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   FCC band and Wireless Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/478336-fcc-band-wireless-mic.html)

Paul Cronin May 8th, 2010 12:09 PM

FCC band and Wireless Mic

I am using two Samson UHF Micro 32 wireless Lav and know it is time to change due to FCC cutting out the 700MHz frequency. The date as I understand it is 12 June 2010.
Can we use the frequency up till then?

Trying to get one last job out of my lav on 18 May. Which will be on a military base.
Then I plan on buying a new system.

Tech question:
In the back of my Samson book there is a chart with all the channels. When you pick a Group and Channel do you get all three bands (Low, Med, High)? Sorry not that knowledgeable when it comes to frequencies. Since the High Band is out side the restrictions from 856.500- 858.850.

Time to start the hunt which is a shame to trash two great systems.

Floris van Eck May 8th, 2010 12:56 PM

Maybe you can sell them here to people in Europe. We have different frequency bands here. I guess the 700mhz band is free here.

Sennheiser has a great new website to check available frequencies per country:
Sennheiser Frequency Finder (BETA)

Only works for The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg but they will be adding more countries.

Richard Crowley May 8th, 2010 01:12 PM

Yes you can use them until 12-June-2010. You can probably use them for some time AFTER that, too. The new applications for those bands aren't ready to start up on June 12. And the FCC doesn't have the resources to send inspectors out looking for wireless mics. I would bet that even on military bases, they aren't going to just dump their 700MHz wireless mics on June 12.

For practical purposes, starting June 12, the new owners of the bands have exclusive use of them. I suspect it will be years before there is so much activity across 700-800MHz that wireless mics become completely useless. But, of course if you happen to be interfering with some other service, you are automatically in the wrong. So it will be even more the "luck of the draw" than it has been to this point. Wireless mics have never had exclusive (or even primary shared) use of ANY bands, so it has always been pot-luck to some extent.

John Peterson May 17th, 2010 07:36 AM

If you are using them inside of a building such as an auditorium, it seems unlikely that any outside interference would occur. On a military base though, I am not 100% sure.
John

Paul Cronin May 17th, 2010 07:47 AM

Thanks John we do a walk through today so I will find out.

Richard Crowley May 17th, 2010 09:01 PM

It would be terrific if buildings could constrain radio waves (in either direction). But alas, that isn't the case unless you are in some kind of all-metal building without windows. Don't count on being indoors as any sort of advantage.

Paul Cronin May 18th, 2010 12:26 PM

Richard some buildings do and the one I shot in today is one of those buildings. No frequencies in or out but of course it is a secure building and a very nice clear, crisp audio.

Don Bloom May 18th, 2010 01:20 PM

Did the building belong to the CIA,FBI, Secret Service or some unnamed agency? ;-)

Paul Cronin May 18th, 2010 01:30 PM

My point is I was lucky since I used a Samson wireless with 700mhz and the signal was clear.