I need a set of mic to record loud punk rock show at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 5th, 2002, 12:28 AM   #1
Posts: n/a
I need a set of mic to record loud punk rock show

Hello all,

This is off topic because I m using PD150, but I want to know what would be a good set of microphone I can get to record a loud rock show in a bar. I have AT822 right now and it does a good job, but I thought since I upgraded to PD150, I would try to get way much better one for better sound. I can't move around to find a sweet spot because i'll be standing right in front of stage.

Thank you :o)
  Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 03:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 42
I would suggest that you take the audio straight from the mixer desk with a DAT or minidisk and use the camera mic. for ambient sounds from the crowd. This way you would get the best possible sound from the music itself, and balance it to the crowd to get the 'live' feeling.

Real Men do not Preview
Jon Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 07:30 AM   #3
Posts: n/a
I don't know how to ask for getting audio from mixer desk to my MD. I don't kow the mixer guy so I can't talk to him in advance about wanting to path into pa...
  Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Major Player
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 343
A simple introduction to the "Mixer Guy" can be the best thing you could do for improved audio. I've done quite a few gigs where I didn't know who would be running the board, but if you ask, they usually are happy to help. At least that's been my experience so far. It helps if you can supply all the necessary connections from the board to your equipment.

Generally from the board, your going to have either 1/4" or XLR balanced outputs available, mabye RCA unbalanced (tape out) if everything else is being used. The board output will most likely be line level, though some mixers can output mic levels. One of the resident audio experts here can comment on the differences between pro and consumer line/mic levels.

If you show up with the necessary cables, adaptors and attenuators to interface your equipment with any of the above possible combinations, you should be in pretty good shape.
Ed Frazier
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 01:25 PM   #5
Posts: n/a
Thank you Ed,

I have Dual RCA to mini and Dual XLR to mini, but I dont know if XLR one is balanced. I connected unbalanced XRL Y split to balanced XLR or something. I was sent to a website to get this, but I couldn't find it. Do you know where? and are all RCA to mini unbalanced.

Also what is the recommended attenuators? and do I need hum killer thinggy to stop ground.

Thanks all
  Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #6
New Boot
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 10
If you are going to record from the mixer, make sure they are mic-ing the drums. At alot of smaller shows they don't.
I've got a bone to pick, and a few to break.
Jesse Meehl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network