Sennheiser EK100 problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser EK100 problem

Had this problem for sometime.... and its getting on my nerves now!

Basically what's happening is the volume just keeps dropping out. It goes low, then comes back up again.

In the end, I have to change the receiver/transmitter (i've got 3 sets). Batteries are fine and full.

Any ideas what this problem could be?

I've tried to standardise my settings on the receiver/transmitter - AF Out / Sensitivity etc etc

Cheers
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Is it just the one receiver it's happening to?

Is it just one system you are using? or several together?

What frequencies are you on?

Is it a G1, G2 or G3?

If you do not have a licence you *must* use these frequencies:-
863.1, 863.5, 864.3 and/or 864.9 MHz
Anything else is either illegal or not intermodulation-free.

Is the transmitter a pocket or hand-held?

If pocket how have you addressed the antenna?

Transmitter and receiver antennas - if G1, is it screwed in properly? - if G2 or G3 is it damaged?

Does it always happen at the same place? or anywhere?

There are a lot of things to check - if everything checked and OK, then ring Sam at Sennheiser UK service on 01494-551-551 and it will need looking at. There is a standard fixed fee for evolution wireless at (I think) about £70 whatever the problem.

I hope this helps.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Major Player

"Basically what's happening is the volume just keeps dropping out. It goes low, then comes back up again."

so does the audio get low, or go completely away?

if it's going low, but still there at a lesser level-i suggest that the audio output connection is intermittent. try another output cable, or wiggle the connector at the bodypack to see if the jack is at fault. it could also be a fault at the microphone end as well.

it the audio is dropping completely (muting briefly) then you may be experiencing rf dropout. this can be caused by interference on the frequency you are using (try a different channel) or too much distance between transmitter and receiver (move closer together). another possibility is that the wire antenna has become damaged (wire broken inside the rubber covering) resulting in poor range and the dropouts.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte View Post
"Basically what's happening is the volume just keeps dropping out. It goes low, then comes back up again."

....... another possibility is that the wire antenna has become damaged (wire broken inside the rubber covering) resulting in poor range and the dropouts.

Or the transmitter antenna could be touching, or very close to, the body - causing massive attenuation of the signal. If the transmitter is in line-of-sight to the receiver the signal could be OK, but attenuates as the person turns and is blocked by the body.

Lots of possibilities here..............................
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If possible observe the RF meter on the receiver. If the RF remains constant but the audio level changes, I would first look into the mic/input cable and output cable and connections. If they checkout OK, contact Sennheiser service.

BTW, If you are using a 'cardioid' lav, they are very susceptible to volume swings when the audio source goes off-axis, for instance when the wearer turns their head to the side.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio